Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:46:51 PM

Author Topic: Problem with the A axis  (Read 5241 times)

Problem with the A axis
« on: November 15, 2010, 02:15:35 PM »
I am new and learning how to use my mill. I just build a rotary table and when I write the code for simple cuts its works perfectly  but when use LazyCam I got into problems. There is something that I am not doing well, either on Mach3 V2 or on LazyCam. I have a GPEG image of a round medallion that I want to cut on my rotary table flat. I load the image on LazyCam and use the spiral cut for the gcode generation. I got the gcode on Mach3 it’s and looks OK but on X,Y coordinates not on A axis. To do that I use the Wrapper program to convert the Y axis to A axis and it doest it good but the converted gcode is weir and doesn’t correspond with the medallion cuts. I read somewhere that I could use the Indexer wizard at Mach3 to generate the code but I don’t have an idea of how to use that wizard. Please help me with any idea to get on track. Thanks.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with the A axis
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 09:06:43 PM »
Never used Mach 2 so can't help on that. LC is for 2.5D work and has no wrapping feature.
When you use a rotary it may be mounted such that A axis rotates about the x  or y axis. You would be wrapping the code around Y or X axis. The rotary, when positioned parrallel to the table, provides for indexing about the Z axis.

The indexer wizard is for indexing in degrees and making a horizontal cut. The wizard i speak of is from NFS and you need a license
to use it.

If you have the code for an image ( x/y/z moves as generated by LC ) you can use wrapper to wrap that code around the X or Y.

use the spiral cut for the gcode generation
By spiral i assume you mean the "spiral" in the imaging module ......i never used the imaging module, thus know nothing about it.

RICH
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 10:23:23 AM »
Thank you Rich but I am using Mach 3 not Mach 2.  I wonder what I have to do or buy to be able to cut this medallion, its 5” diameter and ¼” thick. I went to Youtube and watched some cuttings like the one I wanted to do. The piece is hold on a rotary table like mine looking up, parallel to the Z axis and the movement are on the Y, the Z and the A axis. They use Mach3 software, you can see it. I am sure someone in the forum has cut something like this before. Thank you.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 10:30:00 AM »
Can you post a link to the video in question please, I probably wont be much help as I have never used a 4th axis but you never know ::)
Hood
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 10:53:11 AM »
Thanks, I'll look for it.
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 09:49:08 PM »
I can't find the exact site but this site will give you an idea of what I wanted to do. In this video the xyz does the job. I want the Y axis converted to A and use the rotary table holding the material to be cut. Thanks
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 09:49:37 PM »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 02:18:48 AM »
That is what I was thinking you were meaning from your description. Normally when using a rotary with CNC it is to add another axis, either for indexing or continual motion but you are wanting it to replace the Y, is there a reason for that?
Hood

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 06:49:00 AM »
I see what you are meaning. I am not aware of a program that does what you want. Have you looked at Vector, Deskproto,
Vectric, Meshcam, to see what options they provide on doing the imaging part to gcode? Again they are not in the under $200 price range. BTW, you'll need a accurate cutting machine  to get those kinds of results.

RICH

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 05:11:49 PM »
You got me thinking which is bad........ ;D
Other than software, there is scanning of the part but usually what you see is the scan is done along an axis and the points created are resolved to x, y, z moves. Now here is just something to think about and try.

Use Copycat to generate the code. You are going to do a manual scan ....good grief....... ???
Using the rotary table you would start at a clear part of the surface and call it A=0. Basicaly you rotate the table until you hit a point where there is a Z move, at that point you put a G0 A********* for the anglular move just made, then you input the Z movement you want
( up or down ) , move to the point where z needs to change ( up or down) in degrees, keep repeating that until you have rotated 360 deg. Now you need to move an axis for the cutter offset, then you repeat the procedure.
The movement from the code will be such that rotary table moves and then the Z cuts or retracts and the table continues rotating.

I guess you can call this the poor mans circular scan,
Never done it, but it kind of does what you are after......and within your budget to boot. ;)

BTW, Read the CopyCat Manual in Member's Docs.
RICH