Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:35:21 PM

Author Topic: Backup XML help  (Read 6080 times)

Backup XML help
« on: November 13, 2010, 05:34:36 PM »
I havnt used my mill in quite a while, went to fire it up this morning to find C-drive gave up the ghost. I have numerous backup copies of my mill profile XML files. However i cant seem to get the config into the new mach 3 install. I have tried installing many different versions. (im not certain of the version i was running prior to the crash,  ???it shows the profile in the loader app but doesnt bring in any of the config (ports, pins etc.) any advice will be greatly appreciated. I dread the idea of having to reconfig everything.

Please help.

Thank You,
Mike

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Backup XML help
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 05:38:34 PM »
When you say you had many backups of the xml what do you mean? In other words did you manually copy these or?
 Can you still access the hard drive if you pop it in another computer?

Hood
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 05:44:12 PM »
Actually Both,

I had a copy of the backup XML folder, and still somewhat able to read some of the crashed drive (many errors). Able to copy the backup files from the mach 3 directory 9of the crashed drive) but unable to get a viable copy of the entire mach3 folder. I tried both backup files from the crashed drive as well as from a backup machine i have.
The .xml files of my backup are 111K if that tells you anything.

Mike

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 05:49:47 PM »
Ok the xmls that Mach automatically keeps in the xml backup folder have their extensions changed to xb* where the * is a number, the larger the number the newer it is. So if you look in the folder and find the backup with the profile name and the biggest number then copy that to your desktop and change its extension to .xml then paste it into your Mach3 folder, you should now be able to use the loader and have your settings back.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 05:54:13 PM »
I did rename it to .xml as per the readme in the xmlbackup folder. I have even tried installing numerous different versions to no avail as well as tried numerous different backup xml files. Frustration level pretty high /)

Mike
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 05:55:52 PM »
im worried that maybe I was running a beta version origionally and maybe there is a compatibility issue. not sure.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 06:01:42 PM »
No compatibility  issues as it must be a fairly recent version you were running if you have the backups being kept automatically.

Can you attach one of the backup xmls please.
Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 06:06:51 PM »
You say you can access the drive, maybe you can get the real xml from it. What profile were you using, was it just a standard named profile or did you have a custom one? whatever, it should be the name of your profile.xml and is in the main Mach3 folder rather than in the backup folder.
Hood
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2010, 09:07:37 PM »
I appended my username to the as the forum complained about a duplicate filename. Anyway here is my backup file. after its placed in the mach3 folder then mach3 opened, it is modified by mach3 but retains none of my original config. I appreciate your help.

Mike

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2010, 05:55:16 AM »
Would appreciate if you could zip and email me the xmlbackup folder. I have sent you a PM with my email address.
Hood