Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:36:05 PM

Author Topic: Sherline rotary table on a 3 axis mill running Mach3.  (Read 19985 times)

Offline Glad

•  19 19
    • View Profile
Sherline rotary table on a 3 axis mill running Mach3.
« on: October 27, 2010, 05:36:46 PM »
Hello everybody.
New here and this is my first post. Hope I’m in the right forum. I have a Sherline 3 axis (flashcut motors/xylotex board) mini mill running Mach3. I want to run Sherline rotary table, but have only 3 axis controller. Is it possible to disconnect X axis (I don’t need it for what I want to do) and hook up rotary table to that axis? If it is possible what do I need to change in configuration? Rotary table I intend to use is a Sherline 4" CNC rotary table with stepper motor P/N 8730.

Thank you for your help.

Glad.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Sherline rotary table on a 3 axis mill running Mach3.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 05:41:48 PM »
You could but you will have to make sure the power is off before disconnecting or connecting or you will likely blow the drive.

You could do things several ways but the easiest and probably the best would be to make a new profile and set Y Z and A up in it.
Hood

Offline Glad

•  19 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 06:51:52 PM »
Thanks Hood.
Trying to find how to create a new profile. Is there a tab or a button someware?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 06:59:45 PM »
If you have the Mach3 Loader Icon on your desktop you can open that then choose to create a profile, you can either clone your one you have already or  have one with default values. If cloning one just type the name you want the new one to be then clcik on the profile you are using on the left side and click OK. If with default just type the name you want then choose the default values box and click OK.
Probably easiest to clone yours then all you will have to do is disable the X and enable and set up the A.
Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 07:01:08 PM »
Oh meant to say if you dont have the loader icon you can go to the Mach3 folder on your drive and click on Mach3.exe and it will do the same.
Hood

Offline Glad

•  19 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 07:23:23 PM »
I have a Mach3 icon/loader. When I start the program it is not prompting me for a project but loading an existing one.

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 10:12:00 PM »
Go into Mach 3, Ports & Pins, disable X, enable A, assign the pins that were on X to the A axis. You should be able to leave the pins set up this way and just switch between which axis are enabled. Both X & A wouldnt be able to be enableed a the same time since the pins are the same. You will also have to gfo into general config also in Mach and select angular for your A axis. Then go into motor tuning and select 360 for the steps, accel and velocity will have to be tinkered with until it behaves correctly.
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 10:21:02 PM »
It doesnt prompt you, It lets you select an XML or create one from an existing file. You then edit a copy of one so your original is unmolested (and if your settings dont work you can return to a successful profile/XML). Try to always leave the Mach Mill/ Mach turn etc as it is original, edit a copy. Dont ask me why I know that. Also before long most of those settings will mean something. It takes a while. If you look at the top of the screen when Mach is open, it will have a series of options (File, Config, Function Cfg's, View etc). This is where all of the settings changes will be.
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)

Offline Glad

•  19 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 10:37:25 PM »
Thanks for help everybody!
I'll try all suggestions. Have a god day.

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 10:50:09 PM »
For a first post, you jumped in big. A axis? Were you having any problem with the first 3 prior or have you just not used it too much yet?