Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:44:52 PM

Author Topic: Mach Plasma and GCode Help  (Read 4528 times)

Mach Plasma and GCode Help
« on: October 24, 2010, 05:58:06 PM »
OK, so I just got a plasma cutter and want to use it on my Bridgeport Converted CNC Mill and my 4th Axis to cut some Sch.80 Stainless Steel Pipe Tube Miters. I'd rather not buy any new software or learn anything NEW LOL! I'll be draping my mill with welding blankets to keep any sparks from damaging it. I'll be making an attachment to hold the torch in the R8 of the Spindle and lock the motor.

My question is if I have a pilot arc plasma cutter and I want to use it on my Mill should I use the Mach Plasma Screen or stick with my regular Mill screen (which I'm very familiar with.)? What does the plasma screen do differently.

The big question how do I alter my existing Gcode to make it plasma friendly. I guess I want to just have it move to the starting position goto pierce height and then cut height and not move the Z anymore, which the program I wrote already does as it follows one continuous path? Attached is the Gcode for cutting the tube miter. I use Rhino and RhinoCAM. Basically I just make a line on the round part to represent the cut path and then cut it using engraving as I couldn't figure out in Rhino how to make the cut as a follow path as it's on a 4th axis. Seems as though it'll work fine.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: Mach Plasma and GCode Help
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 07:10:59 PM »
Just my opinion BUT i would not have a plasma cutter within a half a mile of my milling machines.The plasma dust is exstremely abrasive and gets mixed with the way oils and lubes and coolant and will eat your mill alive. AND once contaminated and embedded it is a BEAST if not impossible to get out.

Just a thought, (;-) TP

Re: Mach Plasma and GCode Help
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 08:33:09 PM »
Thanks for the concern, but I'm only going to make a few cuts and I'm going to drape the entire machine with welding blankets.

I would like it if someone would post a sample gcode for a simple circle for a plasma cutter so I can see what codes are used and what for.