Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 11:57:11 AM

Author Topic: A few questions as a new Mach3 user  (Read 3385 times)

A few questions as a new Mach3 user
« on: October 24, 2010, 09:23:19 PM »
Ok, I've got a small functioning plasma table now, and could use some help on the programming side of things to dial it in. I'm running Mach3, and currently found Lazycam (not pro) to be a very simple way to convert my dxf files to g-code. I really like the way it works - you guys ought to finish developing it and sell it!  So far it's worked well, but I do have some questions...

I need to account for kerf to get more accurate parts. I know Lazycam free doesn't have a functioning offset option, but can Mach take care of this? Seems like it would be better to do a cutter compensation in Mach anyway - but I have yet to figure out how! How can I do this?

Does anyone know if the feedrate reduction in circles works in Lazycam? I cannot see that it does anything. Might not be configuring it correctly.

Is there a setting somewhere to make Mach default to inches as the working unit? I have the machine units in metric as I have metric leads on the ballscrews, but would really like to not have to go under setting and hit inches every time I load Mach. I've tried the save settings button, but this one doesn't seem to save.

Thank you!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: A few questions as a new Mach3 user
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 02:10:09 AM »
G20 either in your code or in the Initialisation string on General Config page will put Mach into Imperial mode. However if I was you I would set up the native units as Imperial units instead if that is what you always wrok in. Just because your screws are metric it doesnt mean the machine has to be set up as such, if I had imperial screws on my machine I would definitely just convert and set up in Metric units as its what I always work in.

Hood

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 06:01:40 AM »
Lazycam free doesn't have a functioning offset option, but can Mach take care of this

You can just enlarge the profile, or even a part of the profile in CAD to represent the offset and post to Mach. Another way would be to
scale the axis in Mach. Just note that you will not have the check of tool to profile if the offset is not appropriate though. If it's just a part of the profile you need to select and post that part seperately.

ought to finish developing it

I doubt that will ever happen but you never know.

feedrate reduction in circles

You can define a different feedrate in LC for any selected machining operation.

RICH 

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 07:35:37 PM »
If you have a few extra bucks I would give Sheetcam a look. It sets up pierce and cut heights, kerf compensation, all kinds of good stuff. Very easy to use. It has many post processors

Have Fun
Mike

Offline GeorgeRace

•  53 53
  • My Home Built Airplane
    • View Profile
    • Race Consulting
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 07:40:02 PM »
I have had very good luck using CamBam, a CAD/CAM program that acts as a drawing program and converts the results to GCode.
Reasonably priced, lifetime upgrade, direct forum to the program producer.  Works great with Mach3!
George
Check out my home page
http://www.mrrace.com