Hello Guest it is April 25, 2024, 09:41:02 AM

Author Topic: get a Galil DMC-4040 to "talk" to the computer  (Read 5986 times)

get a Galil DMC-4040 to "talk" to the computer
« on: September 04, 2011, 08:12:31 PM »
I guess I'm not very computer literate.  I though this was going to be easy.  Please help me get a DMC-4040 to communicate with the computer.  I believe that's the first step.  I have a Windows 7 64bit computer that I want to run Mach 3 on, via Ethernet to the Galil DMC-4040.  I'm converting a Fryer MB11 bed mill that the Anilam control died on, to Mach 3.   I would rather not use a router or switch or whatnot, just one computer, one crossover cable, and one Galil.  The computer is only for the mill and will remain attached to it.  It has wireless connection for internet, so the RJ45/Ethernet port/jack is for the Galil and only for the Galil.  I have the DMC-4040 connected to the computer with a crossover cable and powered up.  The Link/ACT and power LEDs are solid and the error lite is off.  The computer 'knows' something is attached but has it as an unidentified network.  When I start Mach 3 an error comes up as "Galil card not connected".   Galil's Smart Term gives this error message "DMCShell error, error code=-3.  Controller could not be found in Windows Registry".  When I try the Galil lite program and hit the connection button sometimes there are two choices, sometimes 3 choices.  When the third choice comes up, its light grey and I don't know if that the color its supposed to be or if its indicating a bad link.  The first two choices are wrong but usually only after clicking on either of them does the third choice show up.  Sometimes its there from the start.  Clicking on either of the first two choices gives this response: 

1011 TIMEOUT ERROR. Galil::command("") took longer than 500 ms to read : response.
OFFLINE: 

Once the third choice shows up (192.168.0.2) and I click on it, it gives this response:

5004 OPEN ERROR. Galil::Galil() failed to open Ethernet host 192.168.0.2
OFFLINE:

What am I doing wrong?  I know I'm not Mr. Computer but I didn't think I would be clueless.  Can someone talk me though the steps to connect a Galil DMC-4040 to a Win 7 64 computer.  I am totally willing to uninstall everything and start over.  I have only dial up for the next 3 days though.
Re: get a Galil DMC-4040 to "talk" to the computer
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 10:32:27 PM »
Hi all,

I tried a few more things and then when I was shutting down I tried the normal cable instead of the crossover and it worked.  Hopefully when I restart it tomorrow it'll still work.  I still have to configure it all and test but it looks like it may work itself out.  I'm sure I'll have many questions to come.