Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 02:41:49 AM

Author Topic: Switching to a "new" computer  (Read 2993 times)

Offline gjp

•  9 9
    • View Profile
Switching to a "new" computer
« on: October 19, 2010, 04:31:44 PM »
Hello,

The motherboard on the computer I was using went bad, so I am switching Mach3 and VCarvePro 5 to a "new" used computer.  The switch is like-for-like, I am going from a computer which ran Windows XP to a computer which runs Windows XP.

Our old computer's hard drive is A-OK, so I downloaded all the Mach3 and VCarvePro files I could find to a flash drive and then installed them on the new computer.

So far, I only have the Mach3 folder which was located in "Program Files" on the C:\ drive.

There are probably files I am not bringing from the old computer to the new one, so I would like to have the experts here advise me on what I am missing.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Switching to a "new" computer
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 04:34:24 PM »
Best bet is to install Mach on the computer then put your xml, macros etc into the folder. Reason is you need to install the driver properly and reboot the computer the first time the driver is installed.
Hood

Offline gjp

•  9 9
    • View Profile
Re: Switching to a "new" computer
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 12:46:58 PM »
Thanks, that helped a lot.

Once upon a time I set up our computer with a list of roughly 20-30 steps for configuring our computer to make it more "Mach 3 friendly."  I think we need to do that again for this new computer.  Does anyone know where I can find the list?  I am having trouble locating it on this site.  Thanks.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile