Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:55:36 PM

Author Topic: Tool Turret for Lathe  (Read 4804 times)

Tool Turret for Lathe
« on: October 18, 2010, 09:56:30 AM »
Hi all:

In the process of retrofitting my CNC lathe I need to solve the turret problem. From the turret base to its center there are 80mm.

The lathe comes with a Sauter Turret which is 25 years old. It has a 380 V  A.C. motor. If I was to use this turret I would have to install a transformer to raise voltage from 220V to 380V. I would also had to figure out all the logic so that I could program it with the PLC. The turret is unidirectional.  An alternative would to replace the A.C. motor with a servo. This can be messy mechanically.

I have also checked for new turrets. I have asked for quotes to Sauter, Duplomatic, Dorian and Pragati. So far I have only got firm quote from Pragati in India. The turret (w/o the disk) sells for about 1000 USD which to me does not look expensive.

http://www.pragati-automation.com/en/product/turrets/btp/btp80.shtml

Does any one had any experience with Pragati, or have any ideas regarding this subject?

Thanks,

Jorge

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Tool Turret for Lathe
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 10:07:16 AM »
What does the original turret look like? I have just fitted a new turret to the front of my lathe and fitted a servo to spin it. Originally it was hydraulic for both clamp and rotate. The turret I have on the rear is hydraulic clamp and rotate and at some point I will also retrofit it to servo.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 10:30:38 AM »
Hood, it is an electomechanical model, with movement of a single A.C. motor plus planetary gears, cams, springs etc. it clamps, unclamps, rotates etc.. It does not have hydraulics or pneumatics.  Will have to study carefully the adaptation of a servo system. 

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 11:55:34 AM »
Looks like a decent enough turret. Is i definitely single phase? 380v would usually be 3 phase here.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 12:11:54 PM »
Its 3 phase. By single I meant that just the motor did all the functions.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 12:20:00 PM »
IF the turret is functional I would just use a 3phase step up transformer to boost the voltage.  Obviously the original logic worked ok .  program up a PLC and you should be good to go.

Just a thought, (;-) TP