Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 06:09:25 PM

Author Topic: Auto zero tool question  (Read 2945 times)

Auto zero tool question
« on: October 15, 2010, 06:50:07 AM »
Hi,

With the Auto zero tool it has 2 leads one for the ground which people are using a clip onto the cutter.

Maybe a silly question but why cant that lead be ground to machine chasis in the control box??..so there is only one lead on the z zero tool. Am I missing something here?

Rick

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Auto zero tool question
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 07:53:56 AM »
Probably more  chance of noise being an issue, also it would have to ground through the spindle bearings which may also be an issue.

Hood

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 11:27:57 AM »
Hi Rick,

There are probably a number of reasons why the tool is not connected to ground........
Some machines use insulated spindle mountings. Some high speed spindles use ceramic bearings. Some spindles have insulated casings. The list goes on....

My spindle shaft is grounded so I only have one wire and don't need to connect a ground lead to the chuck but a lot of people with wood routers probably use double insulated spindles where the shaft is not grounded.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 12:31:47 PM »
Thanks....My spindle is all metal and has no electrical resistance between machine frame and cutter..so I guess i could try the one wire and hope there no of noise.