Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 06:01:07 AM

Author Topic: problems with larger bit and machine stuttering  (Read 3813 times)

problems with larger bit and machine stuttering
« on: October 10, 2010, 09:59:19 AM »
Hi, I am using this machine to create sculptures of mine.  Though every time I use a larger bit (lately only) the machine keeps stuttering.  What I mean by this is that it will be running, then all of a sudden make a *jammed sound* then continue and it will mess up the piece i am working on.  So my solution has ben to stop it, re-zero home, then input my "zero's" and start again.  The problem is that it is doing it more often now.  I don't think that the bit would cause this to happen since we have run this 1/2 inch bit on it many of times already.  I have cleaned out both the computer and the box for the machine by using compressed air, and get all the dust out.  Any other suggestions?  I need to get this thing working properly, because I need it for my thesis work!!

Adam

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,672 2,672
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
Re: problems with larger bit and machine stuttering
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 10:08:28 AM »
Get the tool sharpened, it may be causing excess load on the drives and stalling them.

Graham

Without engineers the world stops
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 10:10:40 AM »
Ok, i will try that.  Where would I take the bit to get sharpened, since these bits are more precision than drill bits.

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,672 2,672
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 10:13:07 AM »
depends where you live, in the UK we would take it to a engineering tool makers or re-grinders.

Graham
Without engineers the world stops
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 10:14:20 AM »
ok, I will have to check around, I live in New Jersey in the US.  I am sure that there is someone around that can do it.  Thanks!

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 01:20:22 PM »
Sounds like your machine is underpowered for what your trying to do?

What are you cutting? Is this a spiral router bit?
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2010, 01:55:03 PM »
We did lower the amount of amps i believe to each of the motors, so that it would run cool and be able to run longer.  This is because we had problems with it running for a long period of time and the motors would get extremely hot.  I am carving out sculptures of mine, well the parts of a large one, lets put it that way.  We use visual mill as the translating program from cinema 4D. Visual mill posts the tap files for us to use.  I am using a 4 flute 1/2" bit, with a OAL of 9". 
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2010, 02:54:10 PM »
odd
i have exactly the same problem come on in the past 2 weeks
weve replaced the ball screw and nut, the h win carriages and the rails
we reckon its a weak motor or drive, we have msd980 drives and a fl86 156 motor at 4.8 amps rms and around 500 rpm
weve dropped it from 6m/m to 2m/min and now its not stalling but we are looking to go to servo motors now asat 6m/m our cut times are to long