Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:22:16 PM

Author Topic: confused newbie  (Read 6358 times)

confused newbie
« on: October 30, 2006, 01:12:40 PM »
I'm confused...........again.  My native units are set to mm, but my dro's and feed rates etc are displaying in inches??  I have a safety zone set up in my program of 50mm.  When the program starts and tries to go to the safe height on the z it travels much more than 50mm and like I said it looks like the dro's are counting in inches???  What did I do wrong here? :-[

Sorry for the stupid question.  When I did the initial set up I set it to mm.  When I was configuring the soft limits and entering the table dimensions it was huge!!  I double checked the native units and sure enough it was in inches so my table was massive when I entered metric values for table dimensions.  I switched it back to mm, and re-started mach.  I then re-set the table dimensions in soft limits, and again re-started mach.  It now says native unit are mm.  I double checked with a dial indicator and sure enough the value on the dro is in inches.

Please help.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: confused newbie
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 01:31:56 PM »
Check to see that you are in MM on the settings page. Here is a pic.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 01:39:23 PM »
Hi Brett and thanks for the reply.  Yes it is in mm in the settings page.  What next??

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 02:06:54 PM »
Hi, Ronin26

Sounds to me your step's Per are set to an Inch Value, Mach work's in unit's , thay can be eather MM or INCH.

Go to Config tab select  Motor Tuning and Setup, change the Step's Per to a value that gives you 1 MM of travel, don't forget to click on Save Settings button for each Axis.

You will probably need to re-tune  Velocity and Acceleration also.

Hope this Helps, Chip
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2006, 02:16:56 PM »
Hi Chip, and thanks for the input.  The step per is set at 32000, which is where it was and was working properly before it switched to inches in native units and I switched it back to mm.  It's weird because everything was fine until I was messing around with the table dimensions in the soft limits.  Once I noticed that my dimensions were being displayed as inches and I changed the native units all these problems started.  I know (from the video) that once set you should not change the native units but it had changed to inches for some reason??????

Doug

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006, 02:45:27 PM »
Hi, Doug

Have you tryed entering a G21 in the MDI Input line or re-started Mach, Create a new XMl file at startup..

No the G21 wont help your in MM Mode now, sorry

How about this, Chip
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 03:10:52 PM by afn09556 »
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 03:23:17 PM »
Hey Chip.  After your first reply, and a consultation with my manual I decided to go through setting up the steps using the function on the settings page.  I told it how far to move, 1 and it moved an inch so I told it 25.4 etc and after all three axis a few times I now have it reading in mm.  I do not understand however why I had to do this.  It was working at 32000 steps fine, but after going through this I'm around 1265 ish.  Strange??  Any idea what caused this?  And why can't I reconfigure at the original 32000 steps as contained in my xml???  I appreciate your efforts to assist me, I know these are probably very basic questions.

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006, 03:47:09 PM »
Hin Doug

I would re-start Mach use option create new Profile, give it a name, click Default Profile Values,  then re setup all your settings.

This shoudent have your current settings, you can renane the new XML file later if need be.

Got to go now, back later let me now how it go's.

Thank's Chip

Offline DAlgie

•  314 314
    • View Profile
    • Algie Composite Aircraft
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 07:21:14 PM »
1265*25.4=32131. Sounds like you indeed have a metric to Imperial conversion problem. Put the steps back to 32000 and then play with the settings somehow?
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2006, 07:27:02 PM »
Hi DAlgie, I've got it working now at the 1265 ish steps per as I set them in the settings screen with the function for this on that page.  I've been cutting parts and it's working good but I would like it back to the 32000.  I haven't tried it back at 32000 because it's working now, and frankly I really have no idea what I'm doing and don't want to mess it up again.  I still do not understand why it decided to switch to imperial in the first place?????????????? ???