Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:30:15 AM

Author Topic: Hot stepper motor  (Read 8376 times)

Hot stepper motor
« on: May 31, 2010, 04:57:36 PM »
Hi i have started building a router table based on the jgro design, ive just built the y axis table with roller skate bearings at both ends and using m8 allthread for the shaft, i have coupled up the stepper motor using a flexible coupling and have run some wizard programs to see the motor turning,it turns ok,speeds up and slows down as the wizard dictates but the motor gets quite hot to the touch is this normal? just curious as i have never used stepper motors before.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Hot stepper motor
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 09:26:01 AM »
Try and find info on the stepper motor and have the drive amp setting appropriate for how the motor is wired.
That's the correct way to start off.

If you can't keep you hand on the motor very long them it's greater than 140 deg F. They all have temperature ratings both for the ambient
air where it is being used and for the motor winding / insulation.
The stepper should get warm after a some use but not get real  hot. I have found that if some of my steppers get rather warm they
won't preform well / miss steps / etc.

RICH
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 09:56:51 PM »
check the movment with a ruller, if you tell it to move 6 inches and it moves 5 or 7 ect. then the steps setup may be wrong.  happend to me and the motors got hot quick and sounded funny. when there wright they sound smooth..... sorry for the limited vocabulary
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 07:41:53 AM »
Thanks for the info the motors are rated at 2.3 amps serial and i have the power set at the nearest setting which is 2.35 amp, i cannot check travel yet as i only have the y axis made up, i just wanted to try the motors out on the threaded rod just to make sure they where working ok as they are second hand off ebay.
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 07:03:43 AM »
but how to decrease the amp of power supply of motor. and what will happen if I decrease the motor power supply amp?
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 08:24:41 AM »
Using power transistors like TIP120 is also batter. But would you like to suggest me a good professional design of stepper deriver of medium level? You may suggest more than one.
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 09:49:37 AM »
but how to decrease the amp of power supply of motor. and what will happen if I decrease the motor power supply amp?

most use a resistor, 1k = 1 amp - 2k = 2 amp ect...

you need your driver spec's
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 10:05:56 PM »
I'm also new to this, and I fired mine up last week for the first time, and thought my steppers were hot, also, and contacted two well respected individuals on the subject, and they both said it's normal.  Yes, you need the right resistor, and the one guy, Ahren from CNCrouterparts.com--he's the guy who sold me the steppers--said he could send me different resistors that would resist more, and keep the motors cooler, if I'd like them to be, but that it would be fine if I just didn't worry about it.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 05:31:20 AM »
Please post specific information about your driver as they are all different and also how your motors are wired.
The amp setting needs to be correct. Someone can then have a read of the information and help you.
RICH