Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 11:41:56 PM

Author Topic: Please help a newbie with cad  (Read 7743 times)

Re: Please help a newbie with cad
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 09:57:28 PM »
Rich i am pleased to say i bought the program. Installed it and designed the hand grip. I saved it as a .dxf file and opeded it in LT. To my suprise it loaded without any alarms. My main concern is the scale. When i made it in my program i had the unit scale set in inches. I made the part finish at 5.5 inches. When I loaded the file in LT it was huge. The lengh is at like -200. and the diameter is around 44. instead of being at 1.5. Anything obvious that i am doing wrong?

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2010, 05:43:42 AM »
Under Options in LT is it set to Diameter and Metric Mode is unchecked?

RICH
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2010, 11:59:42 AM »
Yes neither are checked. Actually i kinda figured out that in the cad program if i set the scale to "25" it seems to get me pretty close.
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2010, 02:32:55 PM »
Just messing around with lazy turn, i made a tool path for the hand grips. When i tried to post the code it doesn't seem to post. I took some screen shots maybe you can figure it out.

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2010, 03:16:19 PM »
Hmmmm....25 seems awful close to 25.4 which is what you would get if converting units. I would suspect something got transformed during translation somewhere. Keep in mind, some programs have options that need to be set when you export and/or import file types (dwg, dxf, iges, etc...) Be sure to check the export options in your cad program. Also check that your actually drawing in the correct units.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2010, 04:34:03 PM »
You can set the units for new drawings and exporting in manny cad programs. Your help section should give you some info.

Are you using W7? ( I  have not upgraded to it )

Below are my notes from page 139 of the LT thread

WINDOWS 7 - POSTING FILE FROM LAZYtURN
----------------------------------------------------------

- This isn't a permissions issue as it will create the file but the file is empty
( the problem is actually that notepad isnt allowed access to read the file?)

Make sure the folder your saving it to has appropriate priviledges. OR, rigth click and run in administrator mode.
I tend to save to desktop, so I dont get that problem, but it shoudlnt appear if the folder your trying to save to
has the write priveleges enabled.. ( Win7 is bad that way..)

- Change  LazyTurn to run in compatibility mode for XP SP2. ( right click on the lazyturn shortcut, compatibility tab,
put a check in the box and choose Windows XP SP2 from the dropdown)

- Look for your file in the Mach3 folder ( they will be blank ) drag them to the desk top.
RICH
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2010, 05:07:00 PM »
your a genius. Worked perfectly:) Are all cads the same? I tried drawing something earlier today and wanted to make a line with specific dimensions. Somehow a screen popped up that i was able to type in the data but it only happened a couple times. If i click the screen alot of times it will pop up once in a while. Is there a certain key? Sorry for asking but this software didn't come with a tutorial or even a help menu.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2010, 06:48:43 PM »
your a genius
Thank you ...but....my wife dosen't agree with you  :D

Are all cads the same?
No, so can't be of much help. Check out the site as i would think there is some kind of info on the program.

RICH