Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 07:11:10 PM

Author Topic: Requirements for new Sieg SX3 Build ?  (Read 6267 times)

Requirements for new Sieg SX3 Build ?
« on: September 07, 2010, 06:14:56 PM »
I'm new to Mach3 and new to the Forum.
I'm awaiting the delivery of my Sieg SX3 & Rotary Table, which will be converted to 4 Axis CNC with Mach3.
My CNC Wood Router runs TurboCNC, so I have  a little knowledge to start with, but I'm still on the bottom end of the Mach3 learning curve.

I know that the Minimum Computer requirement for Mach3 is; 1Ghz CPU, 512Mb Ram.
I have a 664 Mhz PIII CPU with 240Mb Ram which seems to check out OK using the 'Drivertest' routine found in the Mach3 Root Directory.
Does this mean that this Computer will run Mach3 OK, or am I missing something?

Secondly, I know the advantage of Ballscrews, but has anyone CNC'd an SX3 with the existing Leadscrews?
If so, what accuracy was achieved? Ballscrews will eventually be mounted when funds are available.

New Zealand

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Requirements for new Sieg SX3 Build ?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 06:21:30 PM »
It will likely be ok but no real way to tell without running the machine. Drawback is anything like a large complex toolpath may push it over the edge, also you may find weird things occasionally happen which will make trouble shooting hard, so try and get a computer of min spec or more if you can.

Hood
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 08:33:25 PM »
It will likely be OK but no real way to tell without running the machine. Drawback is anything like a large complex toolpath may push it over the edge, also you may find weird things occasionally happen which will make trouble shooting hard, so try and get a computer of min spec or more if you can.

Hood

Thanks for that, I was trying to keep my bigger Computer for other uses, but I guess I'll have to use it.
It's a P4 3.2Ghz with 1 Gb RAM, 186Gb HDD and a Separate Video Card, so I guess it may just squeak in 8-)
Running 'Drivertest' gives me a flat line with no 'blips' at all, so that looks hopefull.

Any thoughts on using the existing LeadScrews??

New Zealand

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 02:25:29 AM »
Not sure where you are but most countries you can pick up second hand computers for next to nothing, so I would have a look around and see whats available.

Afraid I have no idea about the screws on a Sieg, :(
Hood
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 08:21:11 AM »

I've now got all 4 Axis running under Mach3 on the Kitchen table using the  P4 3.2Ghz Machine; works fine.
I'm using one of the Chinese 4 Axis TB6560 boards, which took a bit of fiddling around with Port Numbering to get right.

My question this time;
Reading through the Mach3 Docs, I was interested enough in the USB Game Pad Jogging System to try it.
I'm using a Logitech Game Pad which works just fine after using the 'Keygrabber' setup in the Mach3 Directory.
However, when I start Mach3 it doesn't work . . .  >:(
Turn Mach3 off, Start Keygrabber and use the 'Start Mach3' button, and it all works again, but if I start up my Mill Profile directly, it doesn't.
I'm sure that someone else has had this issue - comments please?

New Zealand
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 08:41:00 AM »

Another Question,
Is it possible to enlarge the Toolpath View to visually follow the Toolpaths easier?

New Zealand

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 09:19:48 AM »
If you right click on your desktop icon (or make one) and edit the target to be C:\Mach3\KeyGrabber.exe /p Mach3Mill 
Take note of the spaces between exe and / also between p and Mach3Mill
If you  use a custom named profile then that will be what you have instead of the Mach3Mill bit.

You can zoom in on the toolpath by clicking in the window and using the scroll on the mouse or if no scroll wheel you can press and hold the left button on the mouse then press the shift key on keyboard and when you move the mouse left/right it will zoom in/out.

If you are meaning actually making a much bigger toolpath window you can do that with one of the screen editors. You can make a new page and have a full page toolpath view if you wish. You will have to remember to add a button on at least the main screen so you can get to the new page and also add a button on the new one to get back to the main screen.

Hood
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 05:00:43 PM »
If you right click on your desktop icon (or make one) and edit the target to be C:\Mach3\KeyGrabber.exe /p Mach3Mill 

If you are meaning actually making a much bigger toolpath window you can do that with one of the screen editors. You can make a new page and have a full page toolpath view if you wish. You will have to remember to add a button on at least the main screen so you can get to the new page and also add a button on the new one to get back to the main screen.

Hood

Thank you Hood, works perfectly. I assumed that Keygrabber needed to be invoked before Mach3 but I didn't know how.
I'll fiddle with the Screen Editor once I know the Program a bit better. Thanks for the Zoom/Scroll comments.

New Zealand

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 05:06:41 PM »
Screen editing/making is fairly easy to do, just start messing around and you will soon pick it up :)
Hood