Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 11:18:12 AM

Author Topic: Vista - Motors wont move - even during initial setup  (Read 6972 times)

Vista - Motors wont move - even during initial setup
« on: March 28, 2009, 03:06:48 PM »
This is my first install so be gentle.   ;D

Xylotyex 3-axis 425oz website special "kit"
All board-motor wiring verified umpteen times.
MS Vista home basic
Everex 1.5ghz/500mb memory

The board setup was followed & verified, but without any motor movement - are all hooked up and "Lock up" which is where xylotex direction basically ends.  When setting up the Mach3 (R2.63) trial that came with router, I followed the video tutorial on this forum to the letter.  About 1/3 way through, he gets to the motor tunig tab and states "you should be able to jog your motors with the arrow keys on your keyboard" - no such luck & even when continuing to the end and loading the roadrunner g-code, I get nothing.  The first line of code acts like it runs and it moves to the second, where the motors (on screen) stay at 6.974 and the program seems to simply freeze .. this is where it stays and the motors simply get warmer and warmer to the touch.  I unplug them after a few minutes to prevent damage.

I've d/loaded the vista registry editor fix & ran it successfully according to direction to no avail.  Am I mising anything or is there a post I simply didn't see about a vista conflict-fix ?  How can I verify this without software to see if it's the board that's the problem?

Thanks !
Re: Vista - Motors wont move - even during initial setup
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 04:20:32 PM »
can anyone help me i am new to cnc ihave a sherline lathe i have alsodownloaded mach 3 but i cannot get the motors to move when i try to jog i have ticked the box for sherline i have vista thank you

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 09:13:51 PM »
Have you configured your ports&pins? What kind of driver are you using?
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 09:55:42 PM »
pickuptrck,
Did you set the amp setting on the board for the motors? Your motors should not get "hot". If you unplugged the motor leads with the drive active you may have blown the drive. To test the drive consult with Zylotex as they should be able to tell you exactly what to do to test the drive.

You can simply run Mach without the controller / motors hooked up to see if Mach is configured and working properly.

I would also recommend you update to a more current version of Mach3.
------------------------------------
DAVE,
Is the reset button flashing on the screen?

RICH
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 01:15:48 PM »
i have configured the ports and pins. the rest boutton is flashing and i clicked it and the motors still don't move also it also says demo mode. should it say demo mode on the screen? i have not got the licence for mock 3. dose it make any difference without buying the licence.

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 02:37:48 PM »
We still don't have enough information to help diagnose the problem. Do you have the correct settings in Ports&Pins? Do you have power to your Driver board? Are you getting the step/direction signals at the driver board. Do you have the correct address set up for your parallel port? Are you using a 'parallel cable' that has all 25 wires run straight through (not a serial cable)? These are just suggestions as I can't be more specific at this point. If you have power to your driver board than it is likely a wiring or configuration issue. Is your parallel port built into the PC or is it an add-on?
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 05:16:51 PM »
the reset boutton is flashing

If you are not using a hard ( an actual estop switch wired to kill the system ) estop, then go into port and pins and for the estop assign a port, pin,
and check "emulated". Just remember that the estop is now SOFT ie; just a software switch.  Once you do that you can click the reset button and you should be able to move the axis.

RICH