Hello Guest it is April 20, 2024, 12:25:05 AM

Author Topic: Bridgeport and Steppers ???  (Read 2930 times)

Bridgeport and Steppers ???
« on: April 02, 2013, 03:01:11 PM »
Hey Guys, I would like your inputs on a machine build I am doing, I acquired a Bridgeport CNC Series 1, R2C3 Mill, no control system, still has the 140v 29A SEM Servos on it, I have a Home based, Cast Polyurethane Business, and I need the mill to make molds for customer, the accuracy of this mill does not have to be stellar, and it doesnt have to be a speed demon, I just need something that will work, I will basically will just be cutting groves in aluminum plates for the mold cavities, like most folks I dont have a lot of money to throw at this, so I was opting for a stepper "Fix", I realize the servos on there are a better option, but I need to get this thing going quickly, and I already am familiar with the stepper technology, I did find the Dugong servo drivers that would work for these, if I was going to keep the servos, but I dont even know if the servos work, and a big power supply would be a problem for me as well. So I was thinking about the Chinese 1600 oz in stepper, Leadshine AM882 driver from   Ebay, An 80v 10A power supply for each axis and a C11 BOB from cnc4pc,
Please let me know if I am OK with this or way off base.
Any input appreciated
Thanks in advance

Mike
MDpoly.com
Re: Bridgeport and Steppers ???
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 07:29:33 PM »
Mike

For a fast easy retrofit stepper motors are great, less wires less problems.   I have a Bridgeport with steppers runs perfect.  The drives you mentioned should be ok.  Have a friend that ran them on a wood router then bought the Chinese drives that have a built in power supply ( on ebay)  he said they run smoother and less wires with internal power supply.