Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 07:59:55 AM

Author Topic: Retro fitting a Fadal/Haas ect.  (Read 9062 times)

Offline TT350

•  113 113
    • View Profile
Re: Retro fitting a Fadal/Haas ect.
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 04:38:13 PM »
Some times the machines are cheap enough that I would be willing in gut entire
system motors, PLC's etc and start from scratch.

Just a 4th axis for one of these machines can cost $2000-$3000 used and if the controls
hasn't be configured for a 4th axis it can cost big bucks just to up grade.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2010, 10:37:30 AM »
Hood when you are working with a 24 T changer that needs look ahead or hot swap then it gets very complicated for VB to handle in a fast action function. as the tool changer needs to run WHILE mach is running Gcode. If you notice I said WORK AS IT SHOULD (;-) I just assumed the OP wanted it to work close to what the original machine was like. So far I have never seen a MACH tool changer(mill) work well with just mach I/O and VB. I have seen a plugin tool changer function work just a well as the commercial machines

Now if you can handle a "very" slow tool changer function it can be done

But that is just my opinion, others may vary
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 10:40:40 AM by BR549 »

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2010, 10:51:21 AM »
Yes they can be cheap BUT if you are starting from scratch(no motors drives etc) it will be VERY expensive to get it back up to runnning condition. Commercial drives and motors of the "size" needed to run them are NOT cheap.

Just the drives here for a Mazak (rebuilt drives) run $1800 each plus your old drive.  AND a set of old 34 steppers and geckos won't get the job done(;-)

Now if you have the drives and motors you will need to get an analog conversion to run them from mach as mach only does step and direction in native mode.  So what seems like a cheap retrofit can really ADD UP in a hurry

Not saying it is not a good idea it IS A GOOD IDEA, but double check your cost BEFORE you jump into the fire. Been there done that as well.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2010, 03:11:03 PM »
Hood when you are working with a 24 T changer that needs look ahead or hot swap then it gets very complicated for VB to handle in a fast action function. as the tool changer needs to run WHILE mach is running Gcode. If you notice I said WORK AS IT SHOULD (;-) I just assumed the OP wanted it to work close to what the original machine was like. So far I have never seen a MACH tool changer(mill) work well with just mach I/O and VB. I have seen a plugin tool changer function work just a well as the commercial machines

Now if you can handle a "very" slow tool changer function it can be done

But that is just my opinion, others may vary

Terry the toolchanging   I would do in the PLC, that is what they excel at in my opinion, VB would only be used to tell it to start and get told when its done.Similarly hot swap just started by a m code and the PLC would do its stuff while Mach is going on its merry way, when the time comes for the next toolchange it would all be done and the only thing Mach would do is look to make sure its correct.
As for very slow toolchangers, I think the reason the ones you have seen are that way are because the hardware is the original and was that slow on the original control. My lathes turret and post are hydraulically operated and are no faster or slower than they were  on the original control.
The turret I will be replacing the front post with, one of these days, however will be much faster. The reason it will be faster is I have a servo on it and it can go forwards or backward and doesnt have to clamp at every tool like the one on the rear of the lathe does.
One day I my even get round to making a changer for my mill that I have promised myself ::)

Hood