Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 03:09:09 AM

Author Topic: Using Pulley with MSM  (Read 5553 times)

Using Pulley with MSM
« on: July 28, 2010, 11:01:26 PM »

I've been using mach software for 3 years and am very happy with it I use the mill and turn on my converted smithy 1324 that I upgraded about the same time.
this is however my first post so let me know if I have not done this correctly or in the right place.

I loaded the MSM last night on a PC just to play with it and I cannot wait to load this on my machine It's just awsome !!

My question is this:  I have a pulley setup on the spindle and have a 4 step pulley with min and max RPM setup for each ratio so they don't over lap.
would it be possible to add the pulley number to the run screen on the msm screen it is the first screen that has some room around the spindle information
and it would be so great not to have to switch pages just to set the pulley number whale cutting a job.

the second Item that would be helpful when using pulleys would be to have a set of macros/brains/... I'm not sure what setup so that when running a file and an rpm is called out that is not within the pulley range have Mach shout down the spindle and prompt the user to Set the Pulley to #x then when the user hit run mach could assume it was done and change the pulley number and restart the spindle. this would really help speed things up when using step pulleys.
this Item I realize may not be usefull to most users but I thought I would put it out there and see what people thought.

Thanks,

Herb 
Re: Using Pulley with MSM
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 04:02:11 PM »
Hi,
Thanks for the input.
I'll add the idea of a pulley DRO on the run page to the "feature request list".

If others also want a pulley DRO on the run screen, I encourage them to post in this thread saying they like the idea too (that helps me get some idea of how much demand there is for requested features).

FYI - the blank areas on the V3 run page are not really blank - in the v4 versions of the screens those areas are filled - but I may be able to figure something out.

Re the idea of auto changing pulleys depending on requested spindle speed - I once tried a few years back to do that (I had a knee mill then with pulleys). I did not find a way to make pulley change automatic.
The problem was that I don't know a way to get notified when the S word is changed by Gcode. So there was no way to test the commanded RPM against the current pulley range.  

The pulley problem got "solved" for me when I sold the knee mill and got a bed mill (which only has one pulley position).   ;)

Dave
Author of the MachStdMill Extensions for Mach3
www.CalypsoVentures.com
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 12:11:19 AM »
Hi,
FYI - I've added a Pulley DRO to the run page. Should show up in Beta 4.
Dave
Author of the MachStdMill Extensions for Mach3
www.CalypsoVentures.com
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 10:46:50 AM »
Thanks !!!
when Beta 4 comes out I will install on my machine This will be great can't wait.

Herb