Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:59:25 PM

Author Topic: Spindle Speed MSM  (Read 5656 times)

Spindle Speed MSM
« on: August 04, 2010, 03:22:52 AM »
Hi All

For the life of me I cannot get the spindle going in MSM. Coppied all the pins from previousl version and that still works as well. Any clues

Noel
Re: Spindle Speed MSM
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 01:41:46 PM »
Hi,
MSM is pretty straight forward wrt to spindle operations - the spindle button actually do M3, M4, M5 etc.
So I'd first suspect a configuration issue.

Things off the top of my head you can check:
1) Setting-common page - is the spindle enabled or disabled? check the button state.
2) is the current tool the prob tool number? MSM tries not to start the spindle if a probe tool is mounted - but in that case it gives you a pretty blatant dialog box with a message.
3) make a copy of your MSM profile using the mach loader - fire up mach with the copied profile and change to the 1024 screen - can you start the spindle? If not, highly likely there is a port & pins setting problem in the profile.

Dave
Author of the MachStdMill Extensions for Mach3
www.CalypsoVentures.com
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 06:10:26 AM »
Hi Dave

Started the old version and then loaded MSM screen set as you suggested from within the old version and all works as it should. Two of us checked the setup in case I was loosing my brain and agreed that the grey mater as good for a few years yet . However just doing what I did would prove that I missed something??? Wouldn't it??

Regards

Noel
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 11:09:13 AM »
Noel,
If I'm following what you did correctly, you have a couple of profiles.
Let's give them some names just to make it easier to talk about them in this post.

ProfileA is your "original" profile - I guess it's the profile that you have used before MSM can along to run the machine. We know it has the correct ports & Pin information for the spindle as it turns the spindle on/off. Profile A loads up whatever screen set you used prior to MSM.

ProfileB is "Newer"" - I think you created it by using mach loader to make a copy of Profile A and then adding the MSM option settings to the copy. For some reason this profile won't turn on the spindle for you when running MSM.

If I have it right so far, I then have a question - You then said that you
"Started the old version and then loaded MSM screen set as you suggested from within the old version and all works as it should."

Do I take this to means that you started Mach using ProfileA and then used the menus view-load screens to make ProfileA load up c:\mach3\MachStdMill.set - and now you have MSM loaded and the spindle works correctly via MSM buttons?
I'll call this combination ProfileA-w-MSM-setfile

If I have this correct, and I were doing this, my next steps would be these:

1) Use mach loader to make a copy of ProfileA-w-MSM-setfile - let's call that XML file ProfileC.

2) load up Mach with ProfileC, verify that we haven't lost our marbles by seeing that the spindle still works.

3) we don't want to loose your orig profile that you used for non-MSM combinations. So start mach with ProfileA-w-MSM-setfile, and use menus view-load screens to reload the other screen set you used to use (e.g. 1024.set). Then close mach (mach only writes changes to the XML file when it exits). This will turn ProfileA-w-MSM-setfile back into the original ProfileA.

[updated 8-6-2010:
There used to be a section in this post about setting MSM options and in particular about setting Persistent DROs.
It was pure hogwash.  My brain apparently went on vacation when writing it.... sorry. If you read it before this edit, forget you read it.
According to the install & config manual, "Persistent DROs" ONLY controls the settings of the Mach Axis DROs between mach sessions. It has nothing to do with saving User DROs between sessions. This is confirmed by some retesting I did.
I've deleted the hogwash so as not to mislead the unwary who read this in the future.
Dave]

1) ProfileC will (hopefully) be all ready for MSM use.
a) ProfileA is now set for non-MSM mach use.

And finally, I'd throw ProfileB away just so that I can't load it by accident in the future and wonder why my spindle didn't then work.

Dave
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 10:09:22 PM by DaveCVI »
www.CalypsoVentures.com
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 07:10:03 PM »
Thanks Dave

Every thing you noted was correct. Even went back to scratch with the spindle problem to see if I missed some thing with a fresh head and couldn't win that battle. All seems to work well with proceedures you suggested. Version R3.043.012 is what MSM should be operating with yea?

Noel
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 07:16:00 PM »
Mach 3.43.12 will run MSM - but I do not recommend using due to a nasty bug in mach 3.43.12

See
http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,15471.0.html in this board
and
http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,15520.new.html#new

Dave
www.CalypsoVentures.com