Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 08:26:51 PM

Author Topic: Controller for New Hermes Vanguard 3000 Engraver  (Read 49321 times)

Controller for New Hermes Vanguard 3000 Engraver
« on: October 20, 2006, 03:04:44 PM »
Hi everyone! I'm a Newbie here with a question about my New Hermes engraver. The Vanguard 3000 is a 3-Axis rotary engraver that has a dedicated controller. I was wondering if anyone reading this has been able to replace the dedicated controller with a CNC controller card that plugs into a PC, running MACH3? The dedicated controller is not CNC, but rather uses font cartridges which limits its versatility. I want to be able to engrave graphics as well as text.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  THANKS!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 03:07:03 PM by xray_man »
Some people are like a Slinky -- not much good for anything, but it brings a smile to your face when you shove it down a flight of stairs.
Re: Controller for New Hermes Vanguard 3000 Engraver
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 03:24:02 PM »
Does the engraver use steppers for the 3 axis's ?
If so it shouldnt be to hard to get it going.
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 03:42:53 PM »
Yes, it uses 3 standard steppers. The problem is that the engraving table has a large, multi-pin plug on it that mates with the controller/computer. I was told that there is a card that plugs into a PC that can replace the dedicated controller, but I am not able to locate it anywhere.
Some people are like a Slinky -- not much good for anything, but it brings a smile to your face when you shove it down a flight of stairs.
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 03:53:25 PM »
Seems like you can get a 3 axis stepper controller that uses parallel and bypass the controller
that is has now.
But then the Font cartridge thing would be gone.
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 04:04:48 PM »
I don't care about the font cartridges. Can you point me to cheap CNC controller that will operate off the parallel port?

Hood

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 04:48:42 PM »
Xylotex do a three axis board for $155
 http://www.xylotex.com/3axBoard.htm
 Teamed with Mach it should do all you want.
Hood
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2006, 05:05:26 PM »
Hey Hood --- That's PERFECT!  THANKS!!!!!!!!   ;D

Hood

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2006, 05:08:43 PM »
Just make sure your steppers are compatible.

Hood
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2006, 05:29:01 PM »
Okay, will do.  Thanks again!
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2006, 10:38:07 PM »
I contacted Xylotex Support via Email and he (Jeff) told me that my Engraver steppers will work with their 3-axis controller, so I went ahead and purchased the controller and a 24V power supply. After I receive the controller I'll have a ton of work wiring up the 3 steppers and 5 limit switches. I'll also need to define an M-code for spindle on/off and wire in a relay.  I'll post more comments here as I get more into the project.

If anyone else reading this has experience using MACH with a New Hermes engraver that you converted to CNC from the original dedicated controller, please tell me about it. I'd like to learn from your mistakes and successes!  :)

Thanks!