Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 05:26:27 PM

Author Topic: Mach3 and OrCad  (Read 5284 times)

Mach3 and OrCad
« on: August 03, 2010, 04:52:15 PM »
Hello! I am making some PCB in OrCad, but recently i`ve bought a CNC machine to make my work easier. The main problem that i have is when importing the .dxf`s in Mach3. I am exporting them from OrCad but when open them with Mach3 i don`t see nothing, zero gcode. I`ve tried with LazyCam as well but the same result. Where am i doing wrong, or the .dxf`s from OrCad are not compatible with Mach3 software? I also have the option to export them from OrCad in .gtd format (extended gerber as OrCad says) but LazyCam only knows .gbr. Any solutions?

Thanks in advance, Daniel!

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Mach3 and OrCad
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 09:07:41 PM »
I know nothing about  OrCAD.

What version of Mach are you using?

In general, to get Gcode from a file, you will need to import that file into a program and then set some parameters and post that code out of the program to a file or directly into Mach. So you need a "magic wand" so to speak to do that. LazyCam  and other porgrams can import files, then you can set some cutting parameters  and post to a file which will contain the Gcode.

Lets say it a different way, the DXF contains information on everything that is drawn, you need to define what you want to do to what was drawn, then the program can manipulate the data into Gcode which allows the controlling program to  make the machine move appropriately.

Your skipping a basic step........
RICH

Re: Mach3 and OrCad
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 10:11:13 PM »
A DXF file is NOT G-code.  It is a drawing file that can be processed by CAM software to CREATE G-code.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.