Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:27:46 AM

Author Topic: Smooth Stepper  (Read 2638 times)

Smooth Stepper
« on: July 24, 2010, 03:16:08 AM »
As a rookie at CNCing, I'm still learning a lot. So far I've drilled through my sacrifice board to the table...several times, fried one controller fried one power supply and wasted a lot of material. But there's hope I did cut two very good circles a couple of weeks ago! Since I am replacing my power supply and controller, I was wondering what the Smooth Stepper does for a machine and if I should add one? If I have a machine that's working fairly well what would it add? I promise I won't fry it.

Richard B.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Smooth Stepper
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 05:30:24 AM »
A few advantages of the SmoothStepper are

It gives a nice clean pulse
Is capable of a high pulse rate
Takes the load away from the computer as it generates the pulses rather than your computer.
Allows you to use a computer that does not have a parallel port and should also cause no problems with Macxh when using a laptop.

Now whether it would be useful to you is another matter, if your pulse is excellent at the moment and you can get a fast enough pulse for your hardware   then it is unlikely to be of benefit.
Hood
Re: Smooth Stepper
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 12:41:37 PM »
Thanks Hood,

Everything does seem to function very well, other than me. I have a fast cpu and have dedicated the computer to the mill. Plus I've stripped it of all other applications to avoid any conflicts. So I'll leave everything  alone for now.

Once again thank you for your time.

Richard B.