Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:59:52 AM

Author Topic: M3 Screen - Modern 1024x768 optimized for Touch Screen  (Read 46438 times)

Re: M3 Screen - Modern 1024x768 optimized for Touch Screen
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2010, 09:30:50 AM »
looks interesting  touchscreen only reset button dangerous
Color scheme and layout are excellent  try complete
The reset button is simply a software version.  I have 3 hard E-Stops around my machine.  I would hope that people would have more than 1 soft E-Stop.

Regarding the plasma, I don't have any experience with plasma cutters and therefore don't know the requirements.  I am still learning my mill  ;-)

I will continue to work on the latest screenset (as time permits) as it seems to be easier to read and understand versus the previous design.

Offline Tekno

•  24 24
  • http://www.teknoelektronik.com
    • View Profile
    • teknoelektronik web site turkiye istanbul
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2010, 09:58:04 AM »
dear dotScott
not much difference between plasma and mill
2 button is the difference
1: thc on/off
2: M3  buton name plasma on/off
 A axis unusable
tekno
Stepmotor Stepmotordriver Torch Height control
Plasma machine build   step& servo Controls
THC design  PCparallelport breakoutboard
Plasma Application, Mach3 torch height control
USB Pentant Usb control  breakoutboard
Foam Cutter Machines
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2010, 06:37:20 PM »
Hi dotScott, I've got to say that your screen design is simply outstanding. To me the first one has the looks of Haas Controller and prefer this one over the other. But I guess that's up to your will. I would like to see more progress in your work, whatever your choice came out to be. Its about time Mach3 got to have a good touch screen and enter the major leagues in CNC control soft. Greeting!
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2010, 10:27:29 AM »
Thank you for the compliment.  I too wish to see more progress on this screen but I can only commit so much time to it.  I think my approach going forward will be to complete the original design under v3 and use the iPad influenced version for the future release of Mach.  I'll try to post some updates in the next few days.  

I agree, Mach is a great program but simply lacks a polished GUI to really make it shine.  The MachStdMill interface is better than previous versions and hopefully will get polished up before the release.

I really wish I could devote more time to this project but my available time doesn't look like it's going to increase any time soon.  There have been only a few people that have either commented or presented criticism on the designs so it's difficult to get too excited when I have a feeling that only myself and a handful of people will benefit from all the hours invested.  If I knew there was some real interest in it I would probably find the time.  
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2010, 11:04:57 AM »
Is there a way to help you? I know it's hard to share work, but if you have somthing, just let me know and I will see if I can do it.
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2010, 01:43:56 PM »
You are correct, it's difficult to share this type of work.  It's similar to working on another person's painting.  Different styles and visions.  One of the biggest issues I face personally is my lack of experience with mills in general.  I have almost 30 years of experience in programming and graphics production but the lack of practical experience in running a mill are hindering me from producing logical layouts of controls.  I struggle with that more than anything.  I've found myself spending countless hours rearranging the layout, trying to guess how I will use the end product while including the features that are required for the  population of more experienced users.  The main reason I haven't devoted a lot of time to the development of this interface is that I have just completed my machine.  I've learned a lot in the past 8 months and now that my machine (link) is actually capable of production, I have been familiarizing myself with the general operation and use of the tool. 

I could simply update the graphics on MachBlue or MachStdMill but because touchscreen controls require more real estate for fat fingers than mouse controls, it's not possible to include all the features that are currently displayed.  I could use advise in what controls and features people find most important on each page.  An example in my original design is the consistent placement of common controls and DROs.  I like the thought of the pages that contain operational controls maintain functions such as Cycle Start, Stop, E-Stop, feed hold et cetera in the same location.  I don't want to have to hunt for the controls on each page.  Same goes for the position DROs.  I want to look up and see those in the same spot regardless of what function page is loaded.  Does this make sense to you more experienced users?  What other functionality would be useful that is not currently provided?  This is the type of help I could use.
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2010, 03:30:44 PM »
screens so far.  needs a lot of work

Offline Tekno

•  24 24
  • http://www.teknoelektronik.com
    • View Profile
    • teknoelektronik web site turkiye istanbul
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2010, 02:33:50 PM »
Hi dotScott Jog picture very amateur   Colorize keys rewind reverse stop end start

for example, stop red  start green. for 4 page too much detail,  Must be 7 or 8 pages

the reset button is still problematic
tekno
Stepmotor Stepmotordriver Torch Height control
Plasma machine build   step& servo Controls
THC design  PCparallelport breakoutboard
Plasma Application, Mach3 torch height control
USB Pentant Usb control  breakoutboard
Foam Cutter Machines

Offline DaOne

•  236 236
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2010, 05:41:05 PM »
I personally like it. Its very clean and straight forward. I think adding tons of color becomes distracting. I love that the key things remain in the same locations no matter what screen you are on. Very easy to understand. I have been working on a lathe screenset myself. This biggest issues I have is the buttons. Not very good with making this look realistic when mousing over and pressing. Any chance you would share your graphics or maybe even point me in the direction to create them myself? Will this be a standard screenset or flash based?
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2010, 08:23:47 PM »
Hello dotScott, I understand your limitations concerning time availability. I think the way to go is taking one step at a time, to overcome a task that could become overwhelming, while seeking professional results. I have no experience at all developing GUI' s but I have some time operating a CNC machine running Mach3, so I' ll try to help you figuring out the screen layout.

Observing the screen captures of the work in progress I think that you could move the status display and history and clear buttons just between the reset one and the group that controls the rewind, resent, stop and cycle start functions. In that way you could add up a safety feature related to the reset being to close to the rewind, without altering a desing, that I too consider very clean and straight forward.

I do too appreciate that the keys remain in the same locations, no matter what screen you are on. As you might have experienced, you keep going back and forth while needing to configure your running work. So a simplyfied design makes it easier and intuitive.

what I have firstly noticed in your program run screen is that there is no block Line# display and the same occurs with the Set Next Line and Run From Here buttons. All those features I consider too valuable and useful to resume a halted work. I assume that could be a good idea to place all those controls in the MDI screen or some other, along with the Input text box and a code blocks follow up window.

Also being a touch screen, I guess is of vital importance to have a set of Up and Down buttons to scroll up and down along the program blocks, so that the selection of a particular one could be done without the assistance of the mouse. That is also of relevance while selecting a point of view in all Job Follow Screens. Here are needed some Pan, Tilt and Zoom buttons like the ones found in RU Screen done by Elpablito, here in Mach3 forum. Mouse control should be put aside or at least be optional.

I do think too that al least 7 or 8 pages are required for a touch screen to undertake all control instances, without getting everything overcrowded. Finally concerning the Edge Finder configuration tool found in the Offsets page, let me tell you that most conversational programing or wisards trend to be very graphical, like the ones found in the std mill screen. I suppose that you' ll have to come up with something out of your creative graphical mind.

So, I hope my contribution help you find some way into the completion of this fine job. Sincerily yours, Aviomac