Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 12:09:08 AM

Author Topic: It Just Goes Wonky  (Read 3038 times)

It Just Goes Wonky
« on: July 07, 2010, 01:26:41 PM »
Ok...  I've been doing some of what I consider to be relatively basic work lately, but it generates some moderately large files.  Looking at the tool paths in my CAM software looks fine, and it looks ok in the Mach Tool Path screen, but it just goes wonky sometimes.  It will forget the Z or Y depth its supposed to go to, and just move on the other axis in a move and start cutting.  I kept getting driver watch dog errors so I turned off toolpath display.  Then I went in and uninstalled EVERYTHING else on the control computer except the minimum to keep winodws running.  I set parrallel port to "normal" and verified every single power saving, screen saving, and "other thing" I could think of was turned off.  I've gone over my mill with a fine tooth comb making sure that all the screws move freely, none of the lovejoys are binding, and the the screw bearings are not stopped up to tight. 

Here is a sample file "if it will fit" that does it.  No one MOP causes a problem.  Is it just too big?  I have other large files that cause the same type of symptoms.  Never mind the tool changes.  That is just for logistic reasons.  This will all cut with a .125 ball cutter except the last two MOPs which require a .250 ball cutter.  Has no significance to the problems running the code.  For test purposes they can all be cut with the .125 ball cutter. 

Re: It Just Goes Wonky
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 05:12:57 PM »
Well, I brain damaged the computer.  I went into the CP and uninstalled EVERYTHING that I didn't KNOW I had to have, and then I turned off the toolpath display.  It cut fine from start to finish.  No problems.  I guess there ARE some practical limitations to file size for Mach 3.  I just wish I knew what they were so I could adjust memory, processor speed, setup etc. so I could run those big files and still use the toolpath display.  Brain damaging the computer and uninstalling everything else doesn't annoy me as much.  I never use anything but Mach 3 and Cam Bam on that computer anyway.  Now I don't even have Cam Bam installed on it. 

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 05:17:17 PM by Bob La Londe »

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 05:27:25 PM »
How fast is your PC?
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 05:47:00 PM »
That one is 1.6 ghz I guess.  I bought it for running Mach 3 as a step up from the machine that was running it before.