Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 07:39:13 PM

Author Topic: I seem to be gaining steps...  (Read 10480 times)

Re: I seem to be gaining steps...
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2010, 03:21:42 PM »
Was there any resolution to this?

Cheers Brian

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2010, 07:52:54 PM »
tap tap tap noise after 20+ hours running
- what's the temperture like after 20 hours of running since steppers can start to act funny when they get hot

feedrate was set to 2mm/minute
- thats around .001" / sec or one "clonk" / pulse per second
- the slowest feedrate i ever tried running my steppers with a G201 was 1 "tik" / sec........
  I was just fooling around to test a peck drilling cycle, but they just tiked like a clock and left them run like that for a half hour time.
  Sounded just like a clock and in perfect harmony with the stop watch. ( good grief what i do when i get bored ???)
Never experienced what you experienced so don't know what to say. Maybe take Hood up on his offer to try a different drive.

Sound is a good indicator and you know what's right when you hear it.
Sorry don't know what to tell ya......
RICH
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2010, 06:36:36 PM »
I'm far....far from being an expert, but I had a similar problem with my homebrewed machine. I'll save you the long story of all I went through. I was using only four of the six wire Nema 34 steppers, so I rewired them and voila, the problem vanished. I had originally wired them for torque rather than speed. I switched two wires and that solved my problem. As I said in the first sentence I'm no expert, not even close to intermediate, but I hope I can help somehow, 'cause this forum has been exceptionally generous to me. If you already tried this pardon me.

Richard B.