Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 02:58:29 AM

Author Topic: auto Z setter adjusting  (Read 16252 times)

Offline Greolt

•  956 956
    • View Profile
Re: auto Z setter adjusting
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2010, 08:18:23 PM »
Does debounce come into use only if he is using a micro switch to detect instead of completing a circuit by shorting an input?

It does not make any difference to the debounce setting in general config, what method is used to change the active state of an input.

Index has its own separate debouce setting, but all other inputs EXCEPT probe, are grouped together under the debounce setting.

In older versions of Mach, probe was included in that group, but was removed about two years ago.

Greg
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2010, 08:55:08 PM »
So adding a capacitor across the contacts is the only way to control the responsiveness?

Thanks for the explanation on the probe exception.

Offline Greolt

•  956 956
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2010, 09:18:24 PM »
Just for your info,

On my setup all I need to stop any noise affecting the probe input, is a pullup resistor.

Every setup will be different.

Greg

Offline BOGIE

•  12 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 07:26:46 AM »
Here is a copy of my file

REM Zzero plate macro
Code"( Setting Z Axis zero)"
If IsSuchSignal (22) Then
code "g20 g31 G90 z-8 f10"
While IsMoving()
Wend

code"g0"
code "G4 p0.5"
code "G92Z0.182"  ' 0.182 = Enter Metal Plate thickness
code"g0"
While IsMoving()
Wend

code "(Moving to safe Z )"
code"g53 g00 1 z0 f 150"
code "( Z Axis has been zeroed )"
End If

Offline BOGIE

•  12 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2010, 07:29:50 AM »
Additionally my plate is not .125 it is actually .183"

Offline BOGIE

•  12 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2010, 08:14:24 AM »
Did some testing this morning and found that when I z auto z set the machine it seems that it repeats very well and the setting is off the same each time so If I correct the plate size in file to compensate where enter metal plat thickness this should correct the problem.  The "G92Z0.182" would become "G92Z0.192" I appreciate all the input from everyone.  I'm not real up on changing things I know nothing about but with all the suggestions I'm learning
Thanks to all

Bogie

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2010, 08:17:36 AM »
The "G92Z0.182" would become "G92Z0.192"

Sounds like the best solution to me - simplicity is best  ;)

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline BOGIE

•  12 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2010, 09:57:40 AM »
Made the adjustment to file and seems that the problem is solved.  I just cant understand why the plate thickness had to be modified but after auto Z setting several times and MDI to a Z height of .001" I check it with a feeler and I'm pretty darn close.

Again thanks for all the help I had no idea where to start.

Offline GeorgeRace

•  53 53
  • My Home Built Airplane
    • View Profile
    • Race Consulting
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2010, 01:37:15 PM »
Does debounce come into use only if he is using a micro switch to detect instead of completing a circuit by shorting an input?

It does not make any difference to the debounce setting in general config, what method is used to change the active state of an input.

Index has its own separate debouce setting, but all other inputs EXCEPT probe, are grouped together under the debounce setting.

In older versions of Mach, probe was included in that group, but was removed about two years ago.

Greg

One of the things I really like about this group is the knowledge that is just out there waiting to be shared.  Greg's comment set me off in a new direction to find out what was really happening with my touch plate hookup.

When I did my initial hookup of the touch plate, I had an intermittent problem where sometimes it worked, and for no apparent reason sometimes it would stop short of the touch plate.  I tried everything I could to figure out what was causing the problem.  I knew it was not the VB routine so it had to be more on the electromechanical side of things.  At that time I noticed the debounce setting, and setting it to 5000 seemed to solve my problem.  Notice I said SEEMED, but I remember even after doing that occasionally it would still fail, stopping short of the touch plate, but it seemed a lot less than it was.

Next I looked at the electronics.  I was using pin 10 for the probe lead.  It had a 10K pull up resistor to the +5 volt line.  To assure a clean signal to the pin, I installed a .1mfd and 10mfd miniature capacitors between pin 10 and ground.  From that time on I have not had even one time where the zero touch did not work exactly as expected.

So today armed with the fact that debounce had nothing to do with solving my problem I tried several other things to see what was REALLY happening.  First, I set the debounce to 0 in both columns.  Ran the touch probe routine about 20 times, worked perfect every time!  Tried homing the mill and WOW, it stopped before getting to the home switches.  Tried several times with the same results, always stopping in a different place, but not home every time.  Setting the debounce to 2000 solved the problem, homed perfectly every time.  My conclusion, there must be something being detected by the X, Y, and Z pins that was not a home switch closure.

Next, just to find out what would happen, I unsolder-ed one end of both the .1mfd and 10 mfd capacitors on pin 10.  Immediately my Z touch routine failed just about every other time.  Putting them back into the circuit again restored the touch plate operation, perfect every time!

Next I took a small service Oscilloscope to the shop.  Looking at the X, Y, and Z pins in my controller I was really surprised to find a constant hash riding on the pin anytime I moved any axis. The "hash" was about one half the voltage level of the DC pull up voltage on the wire.   For some reason the X axis seemed to be the worse.  Every now and then there was a larger spike that looked like it was the same amplitude as the DC pull up voltage on the wire.  It was a very narrow pules, but never the less it was there, I surmise that by setting the debounce time it was wide enough so that the pulses were not seen.   So nothing was happening until it got to the home switch which provided a nice solid ground and stopped the mill.

Next I installed a .1mfd and 10mfd capacitor in the controller box at the X, Y, and Z port pins.  Now looking at the pins with the scope, nice and clean, only a solid steady 5 volt DC line showing.  I set the debounce to 0 again and the mill homed perfectly every time.   Had my controller been provided with those noise suppressing capacitors I would not ever seen any false triggering on any of the axis at any time.

Yes, I am using shielded wire to all the devices and stepper motors.  All shields are grounded at the controller end.  I also have a nice heavy ground lead that is separately run between  the mill frame and the controller power cord ground terminal, which is grounded to the power supply ground terminal.

Hopefully this will help someone else solve some of their intermittent problems.  I guess that my controller is very susceptible to noise being generated within the electronics that drive the stepper motors.  Probably some of the more expensive commercial systems do not have this problem.  My controller is a very nice one that I built up from a kit and really has worked very well for over 2 years now.  Adding the noise suppression capacitors on the port pins seems to have really settled my mill controller down.

George

Check out my home page
http://www.mrrace.com

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2010, 01:51:12 PM »
Hi George,

Did you place the 0.1uf and 10uf capacitors on both the step and direction pins for each axis ?

Tweakie.

(My apologies to Bogie for hijacking his thread).
PEACE