Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 11:35:08 AM

Author Topic: Polygon Turning  (Read 11097 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Polygon Turning
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 08:23:09 AM »
seriously considering doing this though :) just need to find the time :(

You said it! no going back now ;-) - it would be fantastic to see Mach doing this.

Last page was interesting too - "thread whirling! !!!!! what the heck is that !!!!!!!

ATB
Derek.

Well I was doing some drawings last night of an idea I have so when I get time I may just do it.

Google thread whirling should get you some info but basically looks like it would really need a sliding head for any length of threads due to rigidity.

It does look good fun doesn't it  ;D

I wonder if there is an optimal cutter diameter for say a max of 3/4" AF hex?  In our case the smaller the cutter dia the better and I see they do one 40mm dia!  Accoring to the pdf example you want the cutter to be (very) approx 3.5 times the af BUT could a 'hobby' type machine cope with the high speed intermittant cut? 

There is only one way to find out - HOOD GET ONTO IT!  (I know you want to)

Rob  ;)

The bigger the dia of the cutter the flatter the flat will be. As for me doing it so you can see how a hobby size machine would cope I am afraid its quite a big lathe I have, probably fit some of the hobby lathes in my toolpost ;D
Heres my lathe, to get an idea of its size that is a 10inch 3 jaw chuck and a 32mm dia boring bar in the front toolpost.

Hood
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 08:33:18 AM by Hood »
Re: Polygon Turning
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 09:41:50 AM »
Oh well with a machine like, there's nothing stopping you!  It wouldn't be too difficult to rig up a servo to a spindle that is held in that whopper of a toolpost just to see if it works.......... but i think it will only work properly if many photographs are taken through the process  ;)

Im really trying to work out how I can place a polygon turning attatchment to my machine as it would be such an awesome feature.

Keep having polygon thoughts! 

Rob.