Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:19:39 AM

Author Topic: Cut Circle Wizard - Approach Arc Starting Position  (Read 6618 times)

Cut Circle Wizard - Approach Arc Starting Position
« on: June 09, 2010, 05:54:56 AM »
Hi,

I use NFS wizards (I have V2.79) all the time.  Great CAM generator!!

Is there a way to specify the Approach Arc Start Position for external cuts on circles.  The default is approx +90 degrees (3 o'clock).  I am writing a step and repeat routine to machine multiple parts (a 50mm Fluted Knob) from a single block of material.

Problem is I have to waste a lot of material because the approach arcs are at the +90 degree position which means that my G52 offset for successive parts needs to be further to the right (+X) to allow for the arcs.

What I would like to be able to do is to specify that the start of the approach arcs somewhere near the 12 o'clock position (outside the +Y extremity of my material) to minimize wastage.

I could cut up my material to 51mm square blocks and do them one at a time but I would really like to be able to be 3 at a time with G52 step and repeats.

Regards

Chrisjh

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Cut Circle Wizard - Approach Arc Starting Position
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 09:48:45 AM »
How about using a G68  to rotate?

RICH

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 05:55:58 PM »
Thanks Rich,

I had never heard of G68/G69.  It doesn't appear on the old list of G Commands that I printed out from Mach3 years ago.  I looked it up in Peter Smid's CNC Programming Handbook and I now understand.

Presumably Mach3 recognizes and responds to G68/G69 commands?

I'll give it a try as soon as I can get an opportunity.  (busy right now having been sucked temporarily back from retirement into the thrust and cut of the real world)

Regards and once again, thanks for the tip.

Chrisjh

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 08:55:25 PM »
First, you ought to update to the latest version, 2.84. There have been several bugs fixed.

Sorry, but the wizard will only allow starts at the 3:00 o'clock position. That just how it was programmed.
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 01:29:44 AM »
Thanks Ron & Rich,

I have now updated to the latest version of NFS Wizards.

I have also amended my code as Rich suggested and the toolpath approach arcs have shifted by 90 degrees solving my problem.

Attached are screen shots of the tool paths with and without G68/G69 commands.

Although I haven't cut metal yet, I am very confident.

Chrisjh

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 08:04:17 AM »
Glad you got it figured out.
RICH