Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 10:39:18 PM

Poll

Should we start a few new catagories ?

Yes
No
Lets wait a while longer

Author Topic: Should we start a few new catagories ?  (Read 9412 times)

ynneb

Should we start a few new catagories ?
« on: January 19, 2006, 07:04:29 AM »
Some of you may remember that in the test forum we had lots of different catagories. I think this failed because it was hard to keep current with all the threads because they were tucked away all over the place. The current layout is more linear and easier to view all the threads in one glance.

The downside is that all the topics are not sorted by theme. Sorting by theme is easier to find past threads for newomers.

Is it time to start a few new Catagories or should we leave it as is. Majority vote rules. Its up to you lot.

You can only view the results after voting.

If the vote does say more catagories, what should they be ?
Re: Should we start a few new catagories ?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 09:39:48 AM »
I'd think dividing out sections for electrical and mechanical would make sense and not divide it too much.

Pete C.

Vmax

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 10:13:44 AM »
1 electrical
2 mechanical
3 computer/program

(:~)= Terry
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 04:35:38 PM »
Hello All,

Newbie here - VERY newbie.  My first post, been reading for a couple weeks.  Been machining for over 30 years, been surfing the net with the computer for about 10 years, but never been exposed to CAD, CAM, CNC.  However I very much want to jump in.....

So, split into Categories?  For me and other newbies (blind people lost in a strange place, and almost alone)  I would very much like to see something like "Getting Started".

A place where all the basic info is placed/discussed.  For instance, what is G6 or G31.  You guys talk about it like the entire world knows what it means.  I don't and don't know where to go to find out.  What is a Break-out board used for?  The list goes on and on.

People like me need to be able to go to a certain place to find all the basic info that you learned years ago and now take for granted.  Trying to learn what something is by reading your discussions about it only makes learning about it very tedious and time consuming.  Reading what car drivers say about Transmissions, how and when to push the pedal and move the shift lever, doesn't really convey what one is.

But then, maybe there already is a place like this and I simply have not seen it.  Wouldn't be the first time I missed something......

Have A Good Day

Richard

ynneb

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 07:21:22 AM »
Richard, You may like to view some of the videos in www.machsupport.com Just browse down the the video icon.
If these dont get you started, nothing will. :)

Benny

ynneb

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006, 07:34:11 AM »
The concern I have with dividing it up in 1 electrical 2 mechanical 3 computer/program, is that the forum is primarily to do with Mach and not CNC machines on the whole.
If we were to change to this, then the forum would become yet another CNC machine building site.
I am not saying no to this, just alerting you to what may happen. Personally I feel that CNCzone handles the whole machine aspect quite well.

What do you guys think ?

Vmax

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2006, 10:43:07 AM »
Benny it just depends on what you want your site to be. From reading the various sites all the catagories seem to go hand in hand sometimes. Sometimes what seems to be a software problem turns out to be a hardware problem, verse/verse. I believe if you break it down into segments it will be much easier to veiw. I dislike the Yahoo forum because it is so hard to keep track of things or follow the conversations. The questions being posed seem to break down in several catagories, electrical,mechanincal, software/computor, software update issues. It would seem logical to group them as such..  (:~)= Terry

PS great job on the site.

Vmax

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2006, 10:55:15 AM »
  Another item you might consider is a dictionary that gives an explaination for the terminoligy used for mach/CNC. When I first started I had no earthly Idea what you were talking about most of the time. It took a while with deligent searching and questions to finally get a grasp on the basic concepts. It was then that Mach started making sense. A dictionary of such would have been invaluable to me at that time (it still would be today)
  An example would be the term spindle index signal. What is it, what does it do and how does mach use it, how do you set it up etc. Spindle timming signal. What is it how is it used how do you set it up and how does Mach use it. Also what is the difference in use between the two. Index, timming.
  It is hard to get answers sometimes when you don't know how to ask the question.

(:~)= Terry

ynneb

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2006, 05:21:00 PM »
Hey Terry I am sure that JohnP would be horrified to read your last post considering the effort he put in on the Jargon Buster page. :)
Go to www.machsupport.com and find the Jargon buster icon near the top.

I will look at putting lings on the frontpage of this site to the resources too, as an extra reminder.

As for your previous post, I am still thinking about it all.

Vmax

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2006, 09:35:04 PM »
To be effective all the avalable info should be located in one spot not scattered all over the internet. It would be like trying to do a research paper and have to fly all over the world in different countries and different languages to find all your info. That may sound radical be that is what it was like. Each site has its own interpetation of what you need to know and stated in different terms also the formats that the info is layed out is different. Also a FAQ list would be helpfull. I noticed evertime a new group of MACHers come on board the same questions seem to pop up. Poor old Art's head must really be swimming somedays. I know I ran him in circles for a few days myself. Why can't we just pool all the info in one spot. Or is this more about KINGDOMS than helping people out and the advancement of MACH?  (:~)= Terry