Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:10:07 PM

Author Topic: Help, X-Axis only moves in one direction  (Read 7863 times)

Help, X-Axis only moves in one direction
« on: May 30, 2010, 01:31:04 PM »
Hello,

I have a issue with my X-axis that is giving me fits.
 When I try to jog the axis to the left and right , it always moves to the right regardless of what Key I press.I cant get it to move to the left.The other axis controls work just fine.

I have done some initial trouble shooting and have confirmed it is not the motor, the cable, and I just recently replaced the Chip for the X-axis driver  thinking this would fix the problem........no such luck.
When I test the Mach 3 driver test, it sometimes says pulsing too fast. Not sure if this is related or not???

I am running Windows XP
Lastest version of Mach 3 ( Purchased the license)

What should I try next?

Tom

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: Help, X-Axis only moves in one direction
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 01:49:34 PM »
Check your config of the pins and ports. Make sure the direction side is correct. THEN make sure the wiring matches the config.
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 03:49:20 PM »
Might also be worth looking at the direction pulse in motor tuning (make it a higher number)
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 11:23:35 AM »
Tom What happens when you move the axis in MDI mode, does it move correctly.

Then you may have the wrong button assignment on the jog key.

Phil

The Good Thing About Mach3, Is It's very Configurable

The Bad Thing About Mach3, Is It's Too Configurable
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 03:52:09 PM »
Update:

The x-axis does go through brief moments were it does move in the right direction, but then stutters and doesn't move to the left again. I noticed that  when I first turn the system on ( before I have start up mach 3) that the X axis is humming and randomly twitching. This isnt happening to my other to motors. I then plugged in on of the other motors and it did the same thing. This isnt a motor or cable issue.

I loaded up Mach 3 on another computer at home, added a fresh HML file and the the same thing still happens.

At this point, I am almost certain I have a Driver Card Issue.

Going to send the card back for them to look at.

Thanks all

Tom

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 04:08:39 PM »
Swap the drivers around and see if the problem follows the drive.
Hood
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 04:30:28 PM »
The x-axis stuttered, so then I plugged the X cable into another motor, then the y-Axis motor started stuttering.
Problem doesn't appear to be related to the motor.

I then swapped Cables, using a previous good cable and a "good" motor into the x-axis of the driver board....Still bad stuttering.
Problem appears regardless of what motor Or cable I use.

Hood, when you say swap the drivers around, do you mean for me to take out the driver chip from my X and put in my Y chip?
Because I also replaced the X Axis chip in the driver board, but this didn't help ether.

I also played with the motor pulse direction values & confirmed that the keyboard is mapped correctly for jogging direction, after all, it sometimes does go in the right direction.

Tom
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 04:33:55 PM by Polmer »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 04:33:36 PM »
Ah Ok I was presuming your drivers were seperate for each axis, sounds like you have a combined axis board?
Hood
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 04:55:44 PM »
Yes,

I only have one card, which I attach all three motor to.
I apologize, I am new to CNCs and Mach 3 and am probably not making it easy for your guys to help me.

Tom

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 05:33:04 PM »
No problem at all, definitely sounds like your drives dodgy.
Does your parallel port cable connect direct to the drive board or does it go to a breakout board then to the drive board. If its the latter then you could possibly swap around the wires for Step/Dir of X to Y and vice versa, if the problem stays with the same motor then you know its a drive problem.
Hood