Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:01:33 AM

Author Topic: New PC Loosing Steps (I think)  (Read 16777 times)

Re: New PC Loosing Steps (I think)
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2010, 06:18:08 PM »
should read port grounding

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2010, 06:18:37 PM »
Ok, just as it should be.
Cant think what else to suggest unless you have a scope, if you do then you could look at the pulses to see if they look good coming out the port when you are having the issues.

Other thing to try is if you have a PCI port lying around shove it in and see.

Hood
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2010, 07:13:43 AM »
Hood I have tried a PCI port but it was no different.

I put myself on the smooth stepper waiting list   ; )

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2010, 08:49:19 AM »
To be honest I am thinking its more hardware side of things thats the problem but thats only a feeling, a scope would let you know for sure. Dont suppose you know anyone that has one that could help you out?
Hood

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2010, 09:08:33 AM »
Don't know if this will help - spotted it on Yamachoo

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/system/17ChannelLogicAnalyzer.aspx

Ian
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2010, 06:47:07 PM »
Hood

I can get one from work to use. If I don't get sorted before I will get over the weekend and do some testing

Stirling Thanks for the link I will have a good look to see if it might be of help

thanks

Andy
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2010, 05:52:06 PM »
Hood

I have managed to get my old PC back up and running (fitted a new graphics card) hooked it back up to the machine and its no different! Same problem.

So over night I have gone from a working machine with no issues to a blown graphics card and now what looks like a problem with my machine electronics.

I have got the scope from work, so this weekend I will be doing some probing and hopefully find the problem.

I will keep you posted.

andy

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2010, 06:06:35 PM »
Hopefully you will find the issue quickly wit the scope.
Hood
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2010, 05:15:46 AM »
Well I feel a right plonker!

Saturday morning I started my quest to find out what was going on with my machine, first thing moved my home switch wiring to another BOB only to find the the LED's were still flashing on the diagnostics screen.

So another check of the voltages and everything checked out ok until I checked the opto relays I was using to switch the 24v to 5v, 5 volts going in 2.3volt coming out ! So straight to the BOB removed the wires from one of my home switches and linked it out, solid LED on the screen.Removed the opto's replaced with some 24v relays problem solved.

Now the missing step saga,all the time I have been checking the problem I have been using the same G code program, I had checked the code and everything looked good, when I was running  the tests with my plunge gauge there was no sign of any missing steps(differnet code), I went back to my cam program I had used for creating the code and found that I was trying to move the tool 17mm a sec! I know the machine would only achieve it's max that is set on the motor tuning page, but never the less I thought this might be the problem,I adjusted my toolpath paramaters and created the G code loaded it into the machine, NO MORE MISSED STEPS

It just go's to show how a series of events can send you down the complete wrong track, I had convinced myself it was the new computer. I will look on this as part of the very steep learning curve we all embark on when we set out down the home cnc route.

Thanks Hood for your help and anyone else who chipped in with advice.

Regards

Andy
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2010, 04:07:38 PM »
Had a smooth stepper hooked up to my machine this afternoon, loaded the problem gcode back in and ran it at 4.4meters a min no missed steps brilliant bit of kit!