Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:28:49 AM

Author Topic: Using Bitmaps for 3D  (Read 15398 times)

Using Bitmaps for 3D
« on: May 29, 2010, 07:27:24 AM »
I'm looking into creating my 3D files with halftones.

I've been using ArtCam and Mach 3 for several years. Can I use a strategy like Carve Write to make my 3D files with Lazy Cam?

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Using Bitmaps for 3D
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 07:15:29 PM »
Joe,
I see no replies to your post and unfortunately I can't be of much help either.
Maybe you can elaborate some and will get a response.
LazyCam is 2D....

RICH
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 06:03:53 AM »
Rich,

Thanks for the reply. Now I don't feel so lonely,

Here the direction I'm going. I know 3D carving can be done without the difficult process from ArtCam and Aspire. I've come to this conclusion by seeing one of my friends carving with the cheap little, entry level, Carv Write. I spoke to one of the artist using this machine. This photo comes from Doug Haffner who took the CSA and put it through his CW. The software, in the machine, reduces the color image down to a gray scale, with the limit of 250 shades. Then carves from that.

As Doug described it to me, the dark shades carve the deepest.

This seems like a much more simple way for some carving. Does anyone have experience with a software package up to this chore.

Joe Crumley
www.normansignco.com

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 08:42:18 AM »
Joe,
Just a suggestion, there are some folks doing lithopanes in here made from pictures , they can probably help you out some.
RICH
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 09:37:22 PM »
Rich,

Thanks for the suggestion The technology for lithophanes are in ArtCam and Aspire. That's not the right direction. I'm looking for a mesh or cloud technique. Thanks for the effort. I'll probably need to keep looking.

Joe Crumley
www.normansignco.com

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 04:10:32 AM »
Hi Joe,

What you are describing here:-

The software, in the machine, reduces the color image down to a gray scale, with the limit of 250 shades. Then carves from that.

As Doug described it to me, the dark shades carve the deepest.

Is exactly the technique that packages like 'Bmp2CNC' or even 'Mach1filter.exe' use to create their depth maps which, incidentally are the same type of files which are used in reverse for milling lithophanes.

For example - This was done with Bmp2CNC from a grayscale image.

Mesh is entirely different and can take you into the realms of .stl files and true 3D work which is in no way related to gray scale images.

For example - This was done with DeskProto from an .stl file.

Point cloud techniques are again quite different and are more akin to half tone than gray scale.

Each technique has it's own advantage and disadvantage and no one technique can be used to best advantage for everything you are likely to want to produce.

Hope this helps,

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 06:31:07 AM »
Thank you, Thank you & Thank you for the excellent information.

As simple as it may seem, I haven't found a good description between Mesh & Point Cloud, but I think I have a better idea now.

I've viewed a couple of half tone files used for 3D carving. I know they appear different from gray scales but should be discribed as half tones. Your link to Bmp2CNC is a real eye opener. I'll go in that direction.

Any other sage advice would be appreciated.

Thanks again

Joe Crumley
www.normansignco.com

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 08:14:30 AM »
Hi Joe,

Mach1filter.exe is also worth exploring, it is not as versatile as Bmp2CNC but it is a free program and can be downloaded from this page http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,6544.0.html

Forgot to mention, nice website you have there and excellent work you have done on those signs.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 06:11:49 PM »
I haven't found a good description between Mesh & Point Cloud

A point cloud is just a group of points in 3D space It has no surface, and can't be machined.

A mesh is a surface made up of triangular or four sided polygonal faces. An .stl is a mesh model, made up of triangular surfaces only. Triangles are the most form of meshes, because a triangular face will always be planar. Some programs can create meshes of 4 sided faces, but a 4 sided face can be non planer if you move a corner, so you need to be careful with them, as a non planer face can cause errors in some software packages.

A point cloud can be converted to a mesh. Basically, a series of triangular faces are created using the points in the point cloud. Sort of a connect the dots.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 06:17:43 PM by ger21 »
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2010, 08:39:31 AM »
Thanks fellows for all the good information. I'm very appreciative of the excellent information. All of this comes as a surprise from a completely new forum to me.

Presently I have two 3D architectural  jobs. However I've found learning new CNC program takes time to iron out the kinks. Perhaps I should look at Tweakie's suggestion of using the Lithophane technique, in reverse. Don't know what limitations that has. One of my present 3D jobs is a Art Deco eagle for a county building. The original eagle is atop the present bldg. Fifteen years ago I'd be hand carving this piece. Don't mind hand carving but It's time consuming.

This weekend I'll begin with  Bmp2CNC and see how it goes.

Thanks again.

Joe Crumley
www.normansignco.com