Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:23:54 PM

Author Topic: Parrallel Port Help Request  (Read 8459 times)

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
Re: Parrallel Port Help Request
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 01:44:41 PM »
This applies to ANY computer laptop or desktop. Especially if the computer was used for something else previously and a fresh copy of windows was not installed for use with MACH.

Make sure that you do not have a printer driver installed.

Printer drivers for parallel port printers typically poll the port and this can cause all sorts of problems with Mach, even if there is no physical printer present.

Just a thought . . .

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 04:41:10 PM »
Is there a recommended computer that works best?  Used IBM and Dell computers are a dime a dozen

My experience with Dells are that they just plain suck as a PC for CNC via PP! They work fine if a SS is used.
You asked ....i just give "my" experience ....you be the judge.

I had a pc made up about a year ago, frankly even knowing what i knew, I realy couldn't define to myself a pc combination
that would guarantee a nice pc for cnc. So, I explained to the technician what it would be used for and he agreed to
find, swap out anything ( motherboard, power supply, etc) until it worked to my satisfaction. What a deal.......and offer!

Here is what i ended up with first the time and it was satisfactory. Very stable and close kernal speed and that was nice when doing the thread
testing.
- Asus motherboard - M2N68-AM SE2 ( this motherboard didn't have a PP port )
- 2 GIG Ram
- AMD  64X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+ 2.7 Ghz
- Asus graphics Card - EN9600GSO
- Rosewill PCI pp card - RC302 ( a cheap card but it works fine )

I am sure there are a lot of combinations that are solid, and frankly, still can't say that there is an "ideal" computer to use.
Notice that it is not top of the line as i wanted to keep the pc cost down. No optimization or any other kind of crap was required.
I should of done this in the first place and applied the SS money towards it. The SS still has advantages in use, but, this pc has
provided excellent results and can run my steppers at the higher feed rates similar to the SS with the PP.

SO it's my dedicated pc for running my cnc machines. I would not buy a used pc today with the prices of available new pc's and would again
have mine built.

FWIW,
RICH

MODIFIED: NOT PUT TOGETHER IN SOME RETAIL STORE AND DEFINITELY NOT A  DELL , HP, or AMD.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 05:12:23 PM by RICH »
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 05:09:19 PM »
I tried my wife's desktop computer today.  It just plain doesn't work...  The steppers just humm and don't move.  The best I've been able to get is only slight jerky movement between the humming.  Clearly the pulses being sent are likely too fast for the motors to react.

I've poored over the documentation and I'm unable to find anything even on basic setup configurations.  Something as basic as what Parrallel port config is best from the BIOS.  ECP EPP, etc.??  I had no idea that building the machine was actually the easiest part.  Seems something as simply as pulse, power and direction would be...  Well simple???

Thanks again for any assistance.
Jeff

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2010, 05:28:05 PM »
Can you attach your xml, also what kind of drives do you have? What breakout board?
Hood

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2010, 05:28:41 PM »
Are you sure that your have the steppers wired properly?
Is the current settings correct? Too low or too high ( if too high they will get hot and won't run correctly, if right at the max the steppers can act weird etc.)

Can you attach a bunch of info and maybe we review and find someting you have overlooked.
Post info on the stuff so we don't have to look everything up....
Even a crappy pc will move the steppers, maybe will not sound very good, but at least they will work.

Provide the following:
- xml file
- controller info / drive type
- motor info - manufacturer, etc
- how do you have the motors wired - can you attach some pictures or draw a schematic

Do you use Skype?

RICH