Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 09:20:27 AM

Author Topic: Setting Mach 3 Port to PCI parallel port address  (Read 144376 times)

Re: Setting Mach 3 Port to PCI parallel port address
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2015, 10:45:26 AM »
Thank you for your reply.
I've tried with a diferent card and it has solved the problem. The ST labs PCI card did not work and now I have a Manhattan PCI express card inserted and it works again.

Cheers.
Aleix
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2015, 01:22:02 AM »
Same problem here after my thrift shop XP machine died after six months of flawless operation (failed to POST, probably due to a motherboard failure) about the time I had a rush engraving job come in (Murphy at his finest!). I picked up a Compaq XP with an integral parallel port and plugged it in, only to find the direction pin would not energize. Since I do not have an rerouting BOB to reconfigure the outputs, I ordered a PCI parallel several others here had mentioned using with good results and found that instead of partial control, I get nothing on any pin, including the e-stop! I do not have any setup functions to disable or enable the onboard or remote parallel ports that I have found and was wondering if there was some supported address limits in Mach 3? Beyond IO voltages, any other ideas to check?
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2015, 07:45:31 AM »
I had the same problem soas many cards just wont work  got a cu100 motion controller, thaat talks to the machine, but not as yet fully set up
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2016, 12:51:56 PM »
According to StarTech (maker of the PCI parallel card I bought on Amazon) technical support ,"Unfortunately most likely this card will not work, since that sort of application requires a parallel card with a legacy (ISA) port address, usually 0x378. Unfortunately this card does not support legacy addressing, and is addressed randomly by the driver and OS."

This would explain the continuous reassigning of the port address mentioned on page 1 of this thread. With enough challenges with my dyi electronics for a 4th axis install, I figured I would just swap out the original card with StarTech's remappable version: 
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005G304SO?keywords=StarTech.com%201%20Port%20PCI%20Parallel%20Adapter%20Card%20with%20Re-Mappable%20Address%20PCI1PM%20(Yellow)&qid=1453135572&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Let's see..... ;)
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2016, 02:27:17 PM »
Worked like a charm....Set dip switches on the card to legacy port address. Used device manager to assign same address as the dip switches. Dialed it in Mach3 Ports and Pins config  for (in my case) the 2nd port, and away my 4th axis went. Now I have to learn how to use it...always something. ;)
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2016, 07:20:48 PM »
Hey guy's I have a PCI LPT card problem of my own to.
Somehow two inputs 11 and 13 stopped working on my MACH 3 machine. So I thought I would insert a PCI LPT card in to the computer and change the configuration of the Port in Mach3 and that it would solve my problem. Well partly it did all my inputs are now working, but unfortunatley the outputs that drive the motors don't work. When I try to move the an axis nothing happens. The DRO number increse and decreas.

This is the LPT confugiraton of the new LPT card.
I/O range BC00-BC07
I/O range B880-B887
Mem range: FEAFF000 - FEAFFFFFF

Any ideas? Not the correct driver for the PCI card perhaps?

Best regards
Aleix

The most common problem is that some PCI cards output the (later) 3.3volt TTL signals as opposed to the (older) 5volt TTL signals and some controller's opto isolators require the full 5volts.
Use a voltmeter and check the voltage on one of your direction signals and see what you get (app. 0v/5v or 0v/3.3v ??)

Tweakie.

I'm so frustrated. vWith this port issue.  I have a XP machine I got off of ebay that had no on board Parallel port so I got a 5v pp210 dual Parallel PCI card.
I have tried all the addresses listed and the 6040 machine will not move. The DRO does but the machine does not.   I just also got the cnc machine new.  After this I researched that the motherboard is a Thunder k8we s2895  There is no other ports being used. The card is plugged into PCI-X 100 MHz (Slot4)  I cannot find a way to make the port EPP.  Bios is not there because its not on board.  O believe that the pcix slot is only outputing 3.3 volts.  Because it usually does.   I also have an issue knowing which address to use.   All drivers working find\s and I have 4 ports showing on device manager.

communications port (com1)  I/O/ range 03F8 - 03FF
IRQ   04

PCI ECP parallel port (LP2)   I\O 2018-2015      I/O  2017-2010
memory range D8103000 - D8103FFF
memory range D8102000 - D8102FFF

PCI ECP parallel port (LP3)  I\O 2008-200F     I\O  2000-2007
memory range D8101000 - D8101FFF
memory range D8100000 - D8100FFF
IRQ   28

printer port (com & LPT)
I\O range 0378-037F

Before you think 0x0378, remember this is a card not on board.
When I look at LPT1 it is set on printer port if that matters. 
Im completely lost.  I dont know what to do at this point.  Am I screwed because of the motherboards 3.3 volts?

The motors tighten up when I turn the controller on.

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2016, 07:23:52 PM »
also yes the port is enabled
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2016, 10:56:39 AM »
Hi

New in the Mach3 community, I think get basic trouble of communication with my port PTB....
I bought a TB6600HG with a joystick and display --> If I succeed to make the motors turning with the manual Joystick, nothing run through Mach3 Demo

Looking into my computer configuration the port adress is 0378 - 037B
In Mach3, I logicly made the setting of the port Adress --> 0x0378
Kernel speed is setted to 35000

By trying to jog X axis (or others) through Mach3, the only thing moving is the X value on the Mach3 display --> but the motor does not move....
Clear that My computer is not in link with my cart

Thank you for your reply if you can help the beginner I am

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2016, 11:44:53 AM »
The recommended, basic computer requirements when using the parallel port for Mach3 machine control are as follows:

Desktop PC (Laptops are not supported) with at least one parallel port
32-bit version of Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 (64-bit versions will not work)
1Ghz CPU
512MB RAM
Non-integrated Video Card with 32MB RAM(Large G-code files, especially 3D files will require a video card with 512MB RAM or higher)

Does your PC meet these requirements ?

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2016, 07:28:02 AM »
Thank you for your reply.
Effectivly.... I got Laptop with Window7 + 64 Bit + docking station (for the PTB 25)
--> Would be my laptop OK with Mach4 ?

Lbees