Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 10:45:06 AM

Author Topic: DMC-2030 for lathe  (Read 11468 times)

DMC-2030 for lathe
« on: May 11, 2010, 02:50:44 AM »
I am considering using a DMC-2030  to drive a lathe without a tool changer.
3 axis will be fine since all I need is 2 motion and 1 spindle.
What else will I need to make this work? Breakout boards? Cables?

I have 2 anlog input drives and a VFD.
I am just unsure what other Galil stuff I will need.

Mike

We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
Re: DMC-2030 for lathe
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 08:06:31 PM »
Hi Guys,
Did I ask a bad question? ???

Let me try a different tack.

1.The 2030 is usb but according to the sticky it will work, correct?
2. Since I only need 2 axis and a spindle, the 3 axes are enough, correct?

According to the Galil website there should be enough basic I/O to get me started for limits and such. The plugin can handle this I think. If I need more I/O I can use a modbus device or a pokeys or even the Galil ethernet I/O.

Does anyone know what the voltage of the I/O coming out of the dmc-2030 is? I am using 24v I/O on everything else that I have and would like to do so on the lathe as well.

TIA
Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 08:44:09 PM »
If you do not make up your own interface then you will need a 100 pin cable and a ICM-2900, like most Galil, the Input is 5v or 24v opto isolated, the outputs are 5v TTL, the ICM-2900-OPTO will convert to 24vdc isolated output.
There is also an output option that will interface to Grayhill or Opto G4PB24 style I/O boards.
If you want a handwheel, then you could look at using an Aux encoder input.
Nosmo.

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 04:15:53 AM »
Hi Nosomoking,
All that sounds good,
So I would look for a ICM-2900-OPTO to get the 24v volt I/O that I want.

You mentioned making my own interface, do you know what that would entail?

Mike
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 05:20:39 AM »
I seem to have answered my own question.
The I/O from the Galil controller is 5v TTL and should work with anything that works with TTL levels.

Mike

Offline kcrouch

•  193 193
  • In way too deep!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 09:18:19 AM »
Please be careful.
I have used the USB version to drive a 3 axis system, but I was not doing anything very creative with it. The plugin for Galil doesn't have any real world testing with threading yet as my lathe isn't completed. If you are doing basic turning, you may be OK though.
Kenny
Having way too much fun! Something must surely be wrong.
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 09:54:31 AM »
Hi Kenny,
It seems that you are planning to do more work on plugin as time allows and I would be willing to do the testing as needed.
The lathe is about a month away from being done but that is subject to change.

I would also assume that I need a spindle encoder to do threading.
I have the spindle hooked up with a vfd at this time.

I will be looking to thread in the future. I could always thread on the manual lathe if need be.

Let me know if I need to know anything else.

Would I be better off with a different controller to thread on the lathe?

Mike

Offline kcrouch

•  193 193
  • In way too deep!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 10:08:31 AM »
Mike,
My attempts so far use the ECAM table of Galil to do the threading, so it should work on your controller. My lathe is about a month away from running too. There will need to be lots of testing done as there are several different ways needed depending on which Galil control you have. Please get back to me when your lathe is running and I will get you a threading plugin to test.
Thanks,
Kenny
Having way too much fun! Something must surely be wrong.
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 11:16:21 AM »
Mike,
My attempts so far use the ECAM table of Galil to do the threading, so it should work on your controller. My lathe is about a month away from running too. There will need to be lots of testing done as there are several different ways needed depending on which Galil control you have. Please get back to me when your lathe is running and I will get you a threading plugin to test.
Thanks,
Kenny

Sweet.

Mike
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 06:08:33 AM »
Hi Kenny,
Would it be possible to use the 2030 on a mill and run the spindle via modbus or something?
I realize that it would limit you to a 3 axis machine but would it be possible.

Just a side note there are a bunch of the 2030 usb controllers on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120586455175&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I have no part in the sale but will most likely be getting one soon to go on the lathe.