Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:08:23 PM

Author Topic: Spindle speed readout  (Read 3898 times)

Spindle speed readout
« on: May 08, 2010, 08:10:11 AM »
Hi Its me again, those following my threads know I have converted a Denford Triac cnc mill to run on Mach 3. (done this with lots of help from HOOD) Well getting a bit to big for my boots now, I want to be able to read the actual spindle speed on Mach. Denford have a proximity sensor already fitted to the spndle, its one of those round sensord with adjustable thread to set it. Can I use this unit connected to one of the input pins on my breakout board or do I need some other connections. Remember I'm a plonker when it come to electronics, its all like magic to me.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Spindle speed readout
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 09:03:11 AM »
The sensor needs to provide an on - off signal which represents a rev of the spindle. The signal must be able to change the pin state at the computer.
Then you can tell Mach where the signal can be found ( pin # or input )  and configure Mach appropriately.
In general the sensor output signal must eventualy go to a pin on the PP. The sensor output can be modified / conditioned / or connected indirectly via a BB or whatever. I am thinking your may be looking at the gear teeth and then in that case the output is like an encoder and there are limits
on the number pulses that can be read.

FWIW,
RICH
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 09:21:20 AM »
Hi Rich, the sensor is directly on the spindle so one rev of the spindle I get one pulse form the sensor. As I mentioned I aint got a clue about electonics, does this pulse need a voltage to it or can I connect it directly to my breakout board and assign a pin number to it in Mach?  Whats a PP?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 12:14:49 PM »
You will need to find out the voltage the sensor puts out, if its 5v then you should be able to connect it to a free input and set up the Index in Ports and Pins, Inputs to the pin you are connected to.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 01:25:16 PM »
Hi Hood nice to hear from you 8). Thats the problem, I just have the 2 wire that come from the sensor so I assume there wont be a voltage coming from it just an on/off signal. I'll test it tomorrow but I'm sure its got no power to it, might be wrong, can I apply a 5v supply to it. Remember I'm thick when it comes to electronics. Keep you posted.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 04:29:06 PM »
No numbers on the sensor? Dont know much about Halls but they could well act like switches so whatever you put in comes out.

Hood