Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:00:41 PM

Author Topic: Diameter or Radius mode for a lathe?  (Read 7637 times)

Offline mc

•  382 382
    • View Profile
Diameter or Radius mode for a lathe?
« on: April 02, 2011, 05:18:00 PM »
What is the general opinion on this?

I'm pretty new to CNC, and I've currently opted for Diameter mode, as that's most practical when measuring things.
However, during setting up the various bits of the lathe and seeing the X-axis DRO show twice the distance of what the axis has just moved, I'm wondering if Radius mode would be more suitable, as that way the DRO corresponds to the actual movement.
Re: Diameter or Radius mode for a lathe?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 06:17:45 PM »
Here is an interesting related discussion.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mach1mach2cnc/messages/125449?threaded=1&m=e&var=1&tidx=1
I prefer DIA. mode but Soft limits don't work right if you are not in RAD. mode.
Should be fixed ...... soon. ? ? ? ?

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 06:39:40 PM »
You can always change to Machine Coordinates since the machine coordinates always display in terms of radius.
What is really important is that you draw, CAM, and configure for one or the other. Mixing dia and radius can be bad...........

BTW, that's why you always want to confirm the current mode of operation and maybe even put a comment in the code so you know how it was created.
and another BTW, some wizards only work in one of the modes, and some CAm's require specific post processors for one or the other

RICH

Offline mc

•  382 382
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 07:24:53 PM »
That discussion on the yahoo list was good.

Having used the manual lathe for a good few years, I know how much I need to turn the dials to get the most from the tools I've got, and what the resultant change in diameter will be. I've never really given much thought to radius v diameter, other than arriving at the final dimension.

What's the issue with using soft limits in dia. mode?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 07:44:33 PM »
Dont think the X soft limit  works in Dia mode. I dont use Softlimits on my lathe at all so not a problem for me, thiose with smaller lathes may prefer soft limits.
Hood

Offline DAlgie

•  314 314
    • View Profile
    • Algie Composite Aircraft
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 01:19:55 AM »
I have soft limits issues as well, always have had on my lathe but never took the time to try to solve them. Glad to see it's not just me (this time anyway!) With the old 1.84 version I had to turn the soft limits off before homing or I got errors etc. With the new 3.42 something when I go to run a program it gives me a soft limit warning box every time, which takes another click to get rid of. My soft limits work well, apart from the warning box that is generated. So will be looking for the fix on that problem for sure. Good post, glad to know that.
DaveA.