Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:54:55 AM

Author Topic: Router driving into wood and bed  (Read 7224 times)

Router driving into wood and bed
« on: May 06, 2010, 02:05:30 PM »
Everyone in a while, when i start a code the router drives the bit all the way through the piece and into the bed of the machine to the lowest limits of the gantry. It does this in less than a second and I don't often have time to hit the e-stop before it bottoms out. When I look at the screen It then shows that the Z is WAAAAAAY off. I have had this problem a few times and i have no idea why it happens sometimes and not others. I am wondering if I am doing something wrong. I have been recording my actions with the hopes that someone might be able to spot my problem. Here is what I did today

I started Mach 3
I tried to move the gantry with the key board so I could fasten a board, but the estop was pressed in
I pulled it out,
I fastened the board
I hit return to zero it did not move
i manually moved it to a central location
I set new zero locations and zeroed out the screens
I loaded the g code
I started the run
It ruined the board
Any ideas?

I
Re: Router driving into wood and bed
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 02:07:32 PM »
I should also add that I use vectric procarve 5.5 to create the txt files.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 02:15:22 PM »
What is the code like?
Hood
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 02:28:58 PM »
I am not sure I understand what you mean by that. what is "the code" and how can I tell you what that is? the file I load is txt file. I am assuming that is Gcode. The fellow that gave the 30 minute how to called it g code. Is that what you are talking about? is there somewhere on the mach 3 scree that displays what you are asking?
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 02:31:46 PM »
I guess I should have stated that i know nothing about cnc machines, I am sorry. I bought a little table top machine (romaxx hs1) about 3 months ago to help me make toys and games for kids. I am an artist who likes to use wood as a medium an make custom toys and scale models.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 02:33:26 PM »
Yes its the G Code, you can attach the file by using the additional options button on the reply page.
Hood
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 02:44:20 PM »
this was a poket for a marble tile inlay, but it has happened on many other files. The crazy thing is, once it happens one. If I run the exact same file immediately afterwards, it runs fine.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 02:49:48 PM »
Do you have any height offsets set in the Tool Table?
Hood
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 02:51:25 PM »
It would be awesome if I knew what that meant, so i am assuming that since I don't that means no. is that something I do in Mach 3 or in vectrc?
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 02:54:36 PM »
I have one code that I have carved at least a dozen times and it has done it twice. each time it is the first time I try to carve it once I turn on the computer and turn on mach 3 and set the zeros