Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 01:03:46 AM

Author Topic: My first finished project on my new lathe  (Read 10039 times)

My first finished project on my new lathe
« on: April 26, 2010, 12:31:31 AM »
I just finished my first project on my lathe that was just finished last weekend. I was worried that it might vibe too much because I had trouble holding runout to the same tolerance as I do on the Haas lathes I made them in the past, but it plays pretty well and only minimal vibe.

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
Re: My first finished project on my new lathe
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 01:15:29 AM »
Nice yo-yo. Looks like it is a single piece...?? Could you explain then please how you made the ID bore with the conic rod in the middle? Custom ground tools?

Thanks for showing.

Dan

Offline BarryB

•  267 267
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 04:09:20 AM »
Yodoug, you rock.  Cool first project.  I'd like to know how you made that too;)

Barry

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 09:05:57 AM »
Looks good YuDoug. Glad the lathe is working well for you.
RICH

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 04:00:40 PM »
That is indeed pretty cool. I've never seen an aluminum yo-yo before. Thanks for sharing. The one under your name looks to be anodized with a splash pattern. Is this what your going to do?
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 06:41:16 PM »
Ok, here goes. My son got me into yo-yos and being a machinist I wanted to make an aluminum yo-yo of my own. As it turns out they are considered pretty good playing yo-yos by many people so it has turned into a side business for me. I sell about 800-1000 a year through different online stores in 6 different countries. They retail around $100 dollars each. I sponsor a few kids around the country that compete in contests and such. Here is a video that one of them made using one of my older models. http://vimeo.com/3736468

As for the machining, the yo-yo is actually 2 halves with a bearing in between and an axle holding it together. All the tools are standard carbide tools from Iscar or Kennemetal. It takes 6 tools to make each half. I use Mastercam to program and Solidworks to design. I just make the prototypes myself and I source the production to local machine shops and anodizers. Here is a section view of the assembly. I'll try to post some screenshots of the toolpaths in Mastercam later when I have more time.

-Doug

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 09:51:20 PM »
Ummmm.........wow. That guy is a freakin' yo-yo ninja.  :o  :o
I sell about 800-1000 a year
That's equally as impressive.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 11:29:57 AM »
Very cool!

A ball bearing yo yo has been on my "todo" list for a long time.  If I ever finish my CNC lathe, it'll be one of the early projects for sure.  In fact, my early Rhino drawing is the logo for my CNCCookbook page on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/CNCCookbook/114641555223506

Cheers,

BW

PS  Those kids in the yoyo videos are crazy!  Shows what you can do if you lay off the video games though.
Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:

http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html