Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 10:06:46 AM

Author Topic: Spindle Status Signal  (Read 2827 times)

Spindle Status Signal
« on: May 04, 2010, 05:11:54 AM »
Hi,

I have converted my X1 to cnc and have been running it for 3-4 years. Everything is AAA but i feel more machine development is required.

I am running the standard motor but have designed a belt drive conversion and have been running it for a couple of years.

I am in the process of going to a smooth stepper as getting a reliable PC to run is increasingly difficult and i also went for a relay board to control the spindle. On the current controller this is difficult to implement as it pops fuses if you interrupt the motor leads. So i am designing a pic controlled circuit that integrates with the original controller that ramps up and down the motor. It is also will display the RPM on an LCD screen and i want to include a mach status signal.

My question is how do i get mach to use the Speed Active signal to feed hold the program if this signal is not present?

thanks matt

i am sure it is not dificult but i don't know were to start.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Spindle Status Signal
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 06:31:33 AM »
I am not sure if I am understanding exactly what you are wanting but heres what I think.
You are running code and the M3 is in the code and you wish for the code to wait until the signal from your board says its ready and then you want the code to proceed, is that correct?

If yes then I think altering the M3 macro would be the easiest way, ie the macro wouldnt finish until it sees the input, once it sees the input the macro would end which would allow the code to continue.

Hood
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 06:52:21 AM »
I would use the M3 to start the spindle and have it wait for the spindle started command.

BUT i would also like it to check in the background like the E stop but not cause the machine to e stop but feed hold.

This is partly due to the increased speed reduces the torque that is supplied by the motor which is particularly evident with drilling.

I am unsure of the in the background check.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 07:19:47 AM »
What you would need to do is have a macropump or a Brain looking at that signal and doing a feedhold if its not there. That would then be a problem as you would constantly be pressing the feedhold (or rather Brain or macropump would) when the signal was not see. So you would also need to AND the signal with maybe the Spindle LED so that it only happens when the spindle is supposed to be on.

Hood