Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 12:56:20 AM

Author Topic: Opto isolation / frequency query  (Read 2755 times)

Opto isolation / frequency query
« on: April 23, 2010, 01:15:45 PM »
Salutations all!
This is my first post...though I've searched the forum lots for a similar issue that I'm facing. Mach 3 is pretty awesome - using it to interface with a Heiz S-720 and the supplied microstepper motor controller.
Anyhow, working fine so far, but I'm having problems setting up a opto-isolation BoB..which I got shipped from Sunrom: http://www.sunrom.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=81
So the issue, I think (the board is working fine), is that its optocouplers has a max clock input speed of 20 khz. Is it possible to configure Mach 3 to run at this frequency or is there a workaround?
In hindsight I should have opted for the model 1117, which maxes out at 10 Mhz, but it'd already just shipped. My application doesn't call for very fast speeds, but a BoB is a must.
Cheers,
Aidan

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Opto isolation / frequency query
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 04:23:21 PM »
Why do you think the board is fine?
The speed you jog the motors at combined with the steps per unit will determine the frequency that Mach puts out  so that is the reason I am asking why you are sure the BOB is fine.

What have you got the steps per unit set to and are you using metric or imperial as your setup units? Have you been able to move the motors at all?

Hood
Re: Opto isolation / frequency query
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 08:36:00 AM »
Hi Hood,
I've been able to move all the motors fine so far, everything functions the way it should w/PC-m'step controller.
I think the opto card is fine - I pulsed signals on each output from the PC (using another program) and each indicator lit.
Then when I hooked PC-Opto-M'step controller, no joy. I disabled everything except the motor step and dir lines to troubleshoot.
I'll check the steps per unit in work later.Thanks anyhow for clarifying the freq Mach puts out (kicking myself here); I will try running the motors at low speed
Aidan