Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 05:21:01 AM

Author Topic: speed control of stepper used as spindle motor  (Read 10429 times)

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
Re: speed control of stepper used as spindle motor
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 05:21:18 PM »
Simpson, I have never used a rotational  4th axis on any of my machines but have you set a rotational radius on the settings page, actually think it should be dia if I remember other peoples posts on the subject.
Maybe this has nothing to do with your problems but I thought I would just mention it in case.
Hood

I don't see anything that is identified as a 'settings' page. Where would one find this?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 05:26:20 PM »
See pic.

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 05:37:34 PM »
Thank you Mr Hood!

I have been looking for it under the configure tab all this time. I was told it was part of the 'configuration' and obviously made a wrong assumption  :-[

As my dear departed Mom used to say to use as kids: "If it had teeth, it would have bit you!"

Once again saved by the Hood!

You da man  :-*
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 05:39:43 PM by simpson36 »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 05:38:50 PM »
Let me know if it works for you please :)
Hood

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 05:40:30 PM »
Willco . . .

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2010, 05:48:14 PM »
As my dear departed Mom used to say to use as kids: "If it had teeth, it would have bit you!"

I was going to be unkind and suggest you visit this site http://www.specsavers.co.uk/ they run some great adds on the telly and in magazines, heres one of them  http://bjcrum.com/images/specsavers.jpg

Hood

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2010, 06:05:04 PM »
Too funny.

I see there is a little 'cross pollination' going on there. Now I knew the Brits were pervs, but a Scotsman??   >:D

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2010, 06:06:51 PM »
HMM.....
For the rotary....
- Four different combinations for feedrates
- three feedrate modes
- a compensated f based on the rotational diameter
- then you have the slaving of axes
- no explanation that i can absorb easily
- the difference between setting up a stepper for use as a spindle as compared to just indexing

Then you add to that a stepper which looses torque as the speed increases thus feedrates / velocity setting are not linear , heck you can probably generate a torque to speed curve for your stepper motor from the data...

Good Grief.......it can get confusing ..... and i confuse easily

Rumor has that Simpson is going to do a write up on it all for us.  >:D

RICH

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2010, 06:08:06 PM »
:D Thats a clean one, you should google that phrase sometime you need a laugh.
Hood
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2010, 05:23:20 AM »
Okay, I've realised I still have part of the original problem, and in order to explain this I need to tell you some more about the machine:-

It's basically a 2.5d plotter, working from artwork in photoshop that's had a grid applied to it to turn it into a series of thin parallel lines. The jpeg file with these lines are then vectorised and turned into hgpl in the program I currently run (R2V). This involves x, y and z axes, as the z axis controls pen up/ pen down From there it should be easy to send that through a program that converts the hgpl into g code (not tried to yet), where, as I said earlier in this post, the paint is only pumped during horizontal strokes (x axis only, no y or z to interpolate.) Why? it's just easier that way, I know that it works from running an old Roland plotter for this  a few years ago.

The problem is, of course, that my g code will then only contain code for the x, y, and z axes. I still have to generate the code that tells the a axis (pump) how many steps to take while the x axis does it's thing. Spindle contorl would have been so much easier, I could just tel Cam Bam or whatever to only switch the spindle on when the z axis is in 'pen down' position. Oh well.

So it's back to my question about how to write an app that does that. (See earlier post for my crude program idea!)

Should I save the g code as .txt, and make a macro somehow to do that in microsoft word or some other text editor? Wild guess...

Can anyone give me some pointers on how to do this properly?

Ta,

Richard B