Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 06:26:17 AM

Author Topic: Aluminium Cutting  (Read 14168 times)

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
Re: Aluminium Cutting
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2010, 05:52:05 AM »
Katoh;

The solution to your dilemma is found in this old Vaudeville yarn;

Patient:  "Doc, it hurts when I do this!"

Doc:  "Then don't do that!"

Offline Katoh

•  287 287
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2010, 09:44:23 AM »
Gerry sorry I did not  mean to offend if I did, you have clearly much more experience than I and access to much better machinery than what I have, more than likely a better range of cutters as well. I just know the capability with my machines and how far I can push them until it all turns pear shaped.
This is why we ask the question in the first place.
simpson36 your dead right, I wont be doing that because it does hurt, but at least all of you have given me a starting point and some really good ideas to get this alloy cut. By the way you still have not told us what the name of that cutting paste is and were to get it from?
Katoh
Cheers
Katoh

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2010, 11:17:51 AM »
No offense taken. Just pointing out what your spindle should be capable of. But the rest of the machine has to be up to the task as well. Good luck. :)
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline Katoh

•  287 287
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2010, 10:01:57 PM »
Fellow CNC,ers
To those that have followed this thread or read the thread asking the same questions as I have, I have had time to do the following tests and have come up with what works on my machine.
Yes a single flute carbide cutter is the only way to go, just a little compressed air blowing onto the cutter is fine and will clear the chips. Now here is the crunch time, all depending on the rigidity of your machine will determine what size cutters you can use without to much trouble, my machine is quite rigid but its cutting surface is 300mm lower than cutter at full Z when the cutter is this low it does have some movement which cause problem's.
Ok I found for my machine a 1/8" single flute carbide cutter run at 12500RPM cutting 500mm/min at 1mm/per pass will give you an exception edge with no chatter and is extremely quite. This was tested on some 10mm plate and the results were very pleasing indeed. Larger cutters do not work so well in my machine due to the increase in tool load.
If your machine has a smaller z than mine and can keep the cutter up on the gantry were it can have  more support less flex in components you will probably have better luck than me with larger dia. cutters.
Again thanks to all
Cheers
katoh
Cheers
Katoh
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2010, 11:03:58 AM »
I was thinking in terms of a high helix, solid carbide milling cutter. They leave a lovely finish on aluminium.