Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 05:01:52 AM

Author Topic: Need Help on a Major Conversion  (Read 9454 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help on a Major Conversion
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 05:19:31 PM »
Reading your post again I am wondering if you are also running in Exact Stop mode, have a look in the code and see if there is a G61, if there is you will be running Exact Stop. If there is remove it and replace with G64, if there isnt still put the G64 in the code,  this will make sure  the code runs in Constant Velocity and will make things faster and smoother if previously it was running Exact Stop. It may introduce corner rounding issues depending on the machines setup but that is a bridge to be crossed at a later stage  if you have issues.

Hood
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 08:41:23 PM »
Thanks Hood I will try it tomorrow at work.  I'm assuming I'll just put G64 on one line at the top of the code and I'll see how that goes.  The ez routers have gear racks and ride on angle iron (probably more of a hobby set up but I'm pleased with them)..the shop sabre rides on hiwin guides and has ball screw set up...is a ball screw setup traditionally a slower machine?

Maybe an idea would be to change motors???

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 03:10:11 AM »
Wait and see how you get on with the G64, also try tuning the motors a bit to see how good you can get it. Often you will get better performance from a machine by dropping the rapids and increasing the acceleration. Lots of people think that the fast rapids are the best thing but if its at the expense of acceleration then you will end up with a slower machine, acceleration in my opinion is king :)

Hood
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 07:57:32 AM »
Also, one machine being rack & pinion and the other one being screws ,the steps per unit are most likely drastically different.
The rack setups axis velocity:RPM ratio can be dramatically different than the screw machine. Depends on the gearing/reductions of course.
The stepper torque might be inadequate at the higher speed required for the screw axis's.
R&P machines/mechanisms are of the fastest .. but there are compromises.
Help me if I'm wrong.
Thanks,
Russ
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 03:57:45 PM »
No luck with G64.  Also, I'm playing with acceleration and rapids, so I'll see how it goes.

I did do some cutout stuff with it today.  Cutout movement is good, but Vee engraving movement is slow and not as smooth as I would like.

All in all a good machine...at least it keeps some orders off my other machines. ;D

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2010, 04:22:09 PM »
What I would tend to do is work out what kind of speeds you would normally cut at and set that or slightly more as your Velocity in Motor Tuning. Then gradually increase the accell until you start to miss steps then back off a bit. You can then try and increase the Velocity until you start missing steps again then back off, that way you will have your max accel and the max Velocity for that accel setting.

Hood