Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 02:04:48 AM

Author Topic: Uninterruptible power supply?  (Read 4117 times)

Offline flick

•  15 15
    • View Profile
Uninterruptible power supply?
« on: April 12, 2010, 06:36:43 PM »
Is anyone using these on computers with Mach?  I'm looking for something that comes with software that will cleanly shut down windows automatically when power gets cut.  I'm suspicious that this may be the sort of thing that will get in the way of Mach, result in lost steps.  Any info is appreciated.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Uninterruptible power supply?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 06:46:09 PM »
Dont know for sure but I suspect  windows wouldnt shut down if Mach was open.
Hood

Offline flick

•  15 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 07:41:29 PM »
Sometimes a hung process will do that.  What is it about Mach that would make it behave that way?
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 09:01:28 PM »
I use a UPS on my computer and another on my controller and router (spindle).  But, I do not have them configured for auto shut down.  They buy me enough time to orderly shut down my router and Mach3 manually without spoiling a work piece.  I don't see a reason to automatically shut down Mach3 if my controller and spindle have already stopped and ruined my work from a power failure.

Hope I'm not missing something in your question.
Regards,
John Champlain

Offline flick

•  15 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 09:08:01 PM »
I'm just trying to assess the feasibility of implementing a "nice to have" convenience feature.  When the machine is turned on and the control computer sees power, it automatically boots and loads Mach3.  I was hoping I could make it so that it would also shut down mach3 and windows when the machine is turned off and the control computer loses power.  1 flick of the switch when I enter the shop, 1 flick of the switch when I'm done for the day.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 02:18:49 AM »
Mach is not like other programmes that you run on computers, it takes control of windows rather than the other way about.
Hood

Offline SimonRafferty

•  46 46
  • Movie SFX Design Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 04:07:46 AM »
I've tried this with Mach on my lathe with an APC UPS.  The posts above saying windows will not suspend are mostly correct.  Sometimes it will and sometimes not.  However, if it ever fails to shut down, the UPS shut-down feature is not that useful.

The PC I'm using to drive the machine is fairly low power.  So long as mach is not actually doing anything (cutting), the PC only draws about 45W.  The UPS I bought which was a cheap 300VA unit has two little 12v batteries (making 24v).  I just bought half a dozen used car batteries from the junk yard and connected these up to give me 3000WHours which will run the PC for 60 hours or so.  I actually have it running my mill controller as well which gives me close to 24h run time.  The power rarely goes off for more than 3 or 4 hours at a time - so it's pretty safe.

The screens are just connected to the mains as I don't care if they switch off.  Thus far the two PC's have been up & running for a couple of years despite some prolonged power cuts last winter.

The junk batteries only cost me £3 ($5) each and are all optima red top's used in Jeeps.  They are not designed for standby operation, but at that price - who cares!
I bought a Midtronics battery tester to take to the junk yard and only buy batteries it said were good.

Si