Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:14:30 AM

Author Topic: Cad Programs  (Read 2715 times)

Cad Programs
« on: April 09, 2010, 11:35:24 PM »
I am looking for a simple and inexpensive CAD program to generate G codes. I am trying to mill a pocket that has a different Z depth from one side to the other. I have tried CadCam and can't make the Z depth different anywhere in the pocket. I am a beginner and need a simple or easy-to-learn program. Any help or advice would be appreciated.
David

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Cad Programs
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 07:26:16 AM »
MMM,
You could use one of the wizards for the pocketing, but, none of them provide for a slanted bottom.
You could rotate/ hold the stock on a slant and mill the pocket. Also you could mill to the min depth and then slant and continue milling the pocket on a slant. Other than that you can go in and manualy change the code such that after some depth the code becomes a
combination y or xz move.  
As far as easy to use program, have a look at Mach3 Wizard List which can be found in the Members Docs.
It provides a list of all the wizards along with a picture of each screen. Note that the Newfangled wizards requires a license. You can do a far amount of machining with them. Trying out the different wizards can help prep you for what  some the CAM programs willl do for you.

RICH

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: Cad Programs
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 08:25:22 AM »
I think a pocket with a sloping bottom is beyond the abilities of inexpensive CAM programs, as it's no longer a 2.5D operation. The least expensive option would be a 3D CAM program that uses .stl files, but they'll have additional issues, mainly that they'll want to cut the entire model, and not just the pocket.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html