Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:46:12 PM

Author Topic: Mach 3 moving the ZERO start point  (Read 16167 times)

Mach 3 moving the ZERO start point
« on: April 02, 2010, 08:12:12 AM »
Hello folks, I'm sorta new at mach 3 and lazycam. I've been searching but to no avail.
 My question, I import a DXF or even write my own G Code, bring it into Mach3, everything works fine, BUT I want to change the zero position, for instance when ever I bring in a project, the X,Y,Z 0 is always in the center of the project, I'd like to chose a diffrent location. I'm sure it can be done, but I cannot find the procedure, thanks for the help

BTW I have the "Full/licensed" of both lazycam and Mach3
Re: Mach 3 moving the ZERO start point
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 11:02:41 AM »
There are so many ways to do this there is no right way, but i will give my opinion.

If i was working on something round a would work from the centre. I would find the centre of the workpiece then Zero X & Y Dro's

But if i was working from a square/rectangle i would come off two corners.

I use cad/cam so this is easy to draw from edges so i would find the edge off the centreline of X & Y then just zero the X & Y Dro's

Phil
The Good Thing About Mach3, Is It's very Configurable

The Bad Thing About Mach3, Is It's Too Configurable
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 11:07:47 AM »
I think I misstated this. when I import a file, the "Display" on Mach 3 always show the center of the piece as XYZ zero. when I start the program it starts cutting at the XYZ zero in the display. I want the cut to start at the corner where XYZ zero should be. is this making sense?

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 11:45:24 AM »
If you draw your piece such that corner is x and y =0 in CAD, then when you import the DXF into into LazyCam you can keep the origin as drawn see  section 6.2.3 in the LazyCam manual. You can change the origin in LazyCam, but easier to just do it in the drawing. The generated code needs a start point, so by default if you draw the profile based on the edge ( x& Y =0 or in the positive x & y quadrant )  you will see the move from
0,0 to where the cutting will start. It will be a rapid, so turn your rapids on in LC and have a look.

Satisfy your question?
RICH
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 11:56:53 AM by RICH »
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 11:50:23 AM »
Sort of. I do start all of my files with the origin in a corner, then I export it to a DXF, after I clean it up in lazycam, I move the origin to the same corner as my CAD program, I then load the  g code from lazycam to mach 3 when the part is displayed in mach 3, the x0 y0 z0 is still in the middle of the part, not the place I put it in the drawing. is there some way to move the XYZ 0 in mach 3?
 I don't have the manual, I'm having a problem downloading it.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 12:06:30 PM »
You shouldn't have to move the origin. See attached.

is there some way to move the XYZ 0 in mach 3?
Yes, via offsets, but try it the simple way.......as the above  is a different story.

RICH
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 12:10:28 PM by RICH »
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 12:08:39 PM »
THANK YOU!! that was the problem!!!!!!!  thanks  now onto other problems!

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 12:11:36 PM »
RT_M.....  Glad that worked  ;)
Hey, i don't like to read since i can only write,  ??? Don't  hack your way through LC.  :)
RICH
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 12:15:41 PM by RICH »