Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:31:28 PM

Author Topic: Stacking Steppers (2Xpower)  (Read 4168 times)

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Stacking Steppers (2Xpower)
« on: October 05, 2006, 03:28:06 PM »
Has anybody tried stacking steppers to get more torque? I was wondering if this will work.
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
Re: Stacking Steppers (2Xpower)
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 12:16:59 PM »
Hi, Chaoticone

They make stacked steppers to reduce centrifugal mass of large diameter armature's, I,vie seen people use 2 steppers on opposite sides of axis

and wire them Parrell or series with one controller.

Maby this will help, Chip

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 03:47:11 PM »
Thanks Chip,
      I've seen this also. I was wondering about actually hooking them together. Get a dual shaft in front and connect the second motor to the back shaft with a coupling. I think I could use the same pulse. Buy one more drive and one more motor and double the torque. I don't see why this wouldn't work, but then again I'm new to this. I'm driving the knee of my mill with one 1780oz in. motor. It does move, but only at 8in. min.. I could put counter weights or air cylinder assist for the mass of the knee but two motors would be allot more fun. Besides It would look allot cleaner. If this set will work I think I could move the knee about 25-30 in. min..

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 10:13:17 AM »
Are you using a ballscrew or lead screw? If it is a ballscrew you may be able to change it out with a lead screw and solve the power off drift. I'm assuming you are using steppers? The counter weight is really the best thing though. If I had a really neat way to do it I would use the weights. I just don't want it to look gaudy. ::)

Did you get to play with keygrabber yet?
Brett

Hood

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 11:26:59 AM »
I did manage to get the swing of the screen-4 software, and it's really sweet.  If I can just stop it from spazzing out placing leds and buttons around on the 1024.set file while I try and grab the OEM codes, I'll be safe (lol).  For some reason, oem codes "121,122,123,124,125,126" dont seem to be working on my screen - they are the codes for the LEDS that light up when jogging x+,x- y+,y-, z+,z-.  No big deal.

When you click on the left hand toolbar to make for instance a LED it stays active until you either choose another item (button, DRO etc) OR you can click the NONE button and that will stop you creating multiple LEDS, DROs Buttons etc. You soon get used to clicking the None button ;)

Hood