Hello Guest it is April 17, 2024, 10:55:17 PM

Author Topic: NewbiE Needs to install limit switch and touch plate.  (Read 10382 times)

NewbiE Needs to install limit switch and touch plate.
« on: March 23, 2010, 10:43:52 PM »
Hi everyone who cares. I tried to search archives on here but I'm really lost with all the abbreviations and "words of the trade" I read here.

Let's make it simple, I want to install a limit switch on the Z axis my 5' X 10' 3 axis cnc router + a touch plate also for Z axis. I run a 2 year old version of Mach3 and I can send pictures of my system to help you help me. If a system that I just add to my controller exists, I'll buy it. If I have to build it, I will... I'm not worried about installing the sensors or switches to my router ,  The help I need is with the software and electronics. What to use, and where to plug it... I've owned my router for 3 years and have learned to run it quite fast. I guess I can learn the more technical part also.

My router was built by CNC Maniac here in Quebec to my needs ( vertical 5 X 10  for space saving ) and works great. It's just that lately I've been working  in 3D with thick materials, loss of steps made the tools plunge right in through the bed a few times, since I'm investing in an aluminum bed, I do not want this to occur again. I'd prefer the work to stop instead of ripping through the actual reinforced  Plywood. Last time it went in all the way through + .5", 2 feet across, luckily without hitting any reinforcement steel tubes...

I'm a signcraft er in Quebec Canada ( http://www.woodandpassionsigns.com ) and have been in RC helis and planes so I'm used to the setting up of things, just do not have much time to browse around. Like I mentioned, I'm ready to pay for ready-built systems that I would only need to install and setup.

Daniel Gervais
www.enseignesbp.com
A good day starts with how you see it....
Re: NewbiE Needs to install limit switch and touch plate.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 12:19:45 AM »
I cant help you with the limit switches but check out the touch plate posted by big-tex http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=742617#poststop This one works great on my machine, but do plenty of air testing ;)
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 01:09:21 AM »

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,197 9,197
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 04:31:11 AM »
This is the way I implemented the touch plate on my machine.  http://www.cooperman.talktalk.net/files/17.htm
Hope this helps.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 01:04:39 PM »
Hi Hilux and Tweakie, looks like I will not buy my way through this one, lot of reading and implementing "jargon" in the next month or so....

Hilux, I downloaded the .set file, "Big Tex" mentions that you need to have blue screen... what is that. And where do I put this .set file.

The video shows a  gray magic wire with alligator clip. Where is that wire leading to ? Some static switch or just a ground to the controller unit ?

As you can see from my questions, I'm really starting at ground level here... minus 1 or 2 :)

Tweakie, there's a lot of interesting infos on your website. That laser is something I might try... I'm also a r/c enthusiast and would like to cut fine precise parts for my choppers and planes..

But for now, I need to make my router more trustworthy, I mean that I would like to get more accomplished by not having to stand by it for those long 3D cuts, afraid to lose some steps and wrecking the bed...
I'll take more time to read thoroughly the links you guys left me and widen the learning spectrums of my brain !!!!

THX
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 01:22:45 PM »
Please forgive my lazy a?? I just read a little further on your forum (tweakie) and found where to weld (lpt pin 15).   

Thx again

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,197 9,197
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 01:50:05 PM »
No problem Sir - my pleasure.

Glad you liked the website. I must get on with the laser project now the weather has turned for the better and I don't freeze in the workshop.  ;D

Tweakie.

PEACE
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 06:14:38 PM »
Ernibro posted a good how to herehttp://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56079&highlight=finder
That thread should get you started. Big-tex has posted version 2 on his link, if you read through these two great links you should be of and running.
I am also a learner so its best to follow the links and ask the experts for advice.
Good luck