Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:19:23 PM

Author Topic: Mach users in Chicago  (Read 3424 times)

Mach users in Chicago
« on: October 03, 2006, 01:08:28 AM »
Are there any Mach users in chicago maybe we can get together and help each other.
Re: Mach users in Chicago
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 11:38:52 AM »
I'm about 40 miles due west of the Loop and just getting a Tormach mill up and running.  It uses Mach 2, though, so I probably wouldn't be of much help, especially as I haven't started using it yet.  I'll be using SprutCAM to generate G-code, in case that matters.

Mike
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 06:06:00 PM »
River Forest, IL...Home built CNC router....Mach 3, LazyCAM, VCarve and some MasterCAM.  About 6 weeks experience.

Honestly, It only took about an hour to turn my motors and cut 'Hello World' into a piece of wood.  It is a lot easier than it appears at first, but I'll help if needed.

I have no experience with Servo's, but it looks like Tormach uses steppers.
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 07:09:24 PM »
BD,

Yes, the Tormach uses steppers.  I haven't done much more than load Mach 2 onto the CNC PC and I gather that it customised (or at least set up) for the Tormach mill.  From what little I've read on the subject that probably takes care of most of the new user problems and should let one focus on learning the software rather trying to figure out how to get the SW talking properly to the HW.  IAC, I've got a little more clean up to do and then I'll be ready to take the mill and Mach 2 for a spin.  A sample part is included on the Tormach distribution disk (a PCNC logo) and the first thing most users do is mill that into some MDF.  If all goes well, I should get that done tonight or tomorrow morning.

Mike